CD Player is sick, can it be cured? - Happy ending

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siphiwe

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
After one too many power failures, my cd player started to infrequently say "NO DISC" when I insert a disk. The player in question is Marantz 5400OSE. It's about 5 years old. The symptoms became more frequent after a while. I would sometimes switch it off, unplug it from the mains and a while later it would recognise my disks.

When this became too irritating, I took it to the dealer who sent it "to Marantz". That's somewhere in Gauteng. When I brought it to him, he said "Aaah! it says no disk when you put it in, right?". That was my cue that this was a known Marantz issue. He went on to say it's the laser, it's gone. A few weeks later, player came back with a new laser. I was happy, until about five days later when it said "NO DISC". Another call to my dealer and he was shocked and embarassed it was broken again, he drove all the way to fetch it and sent it away.

Two weeks later, he returned it and said "Marantz" didn't find a problem with it. They tested everything and it's ok. Sure, it played well since then(beginning of March). Last week I got the NO DISC treatment, I shrugged it of since it played when I opened and closed the tray. Yesterday morning again, same "fix". Then I got load-shedded last night. However, I made sure to switch off and unplug everything before the  power-off time. Net result, it won't play anything this morning. NO DISC.

I feel like throwing it away, but before I do that, what could be the problem? How do the latest Marantz players rate in terms of the issues that this gen of players had? My dealer knew about my issue before I could explain it to him, suggesting widespread problems. He made me listen to the DV7001 and SA7001 which sounded wonderful in his room. My player is wonderful to me when it plays but it's not reliable anymore and I'm hating it more each time it rejects my disks.