Author Topic: Valves and a massive thanks to DarrylO  (Read 4201 times)

Offline sav

Valves and a massive thanks to DarrylO
« on: May 30, 2012, 11:01:32 PM »
Long story short, my grandfather bought one of these new almost 50 years ago:

it went to my dad who gave it to me when I was still a kid. I couldn't appreciate it back then and ended up butchering it, removing all the knobs, etc.

My dad tried getting it back together but it was pretty hopeless. He's given it to me now that I'm a little bit more mature in the hopes that I'd be able to restore it.

Now with the help of DarrylO and some difficult decisions it's back in business and it sounds simply AMAZING!! First CD I've popped in was Eric Clapton's MTV unplugged and it simply blew me away. Almost impossible to believe that something that old can sound this good.

I reckon I'm a valve convert. Next step I guess would be vinyl but I'm really trying hard to resist that temptation.

Thanks again. :)

Offline Kent Kassler

Re: Valves and a massive thanks to DarrylO
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 12:12:09 AM »
...great sounding little amp that Sav....i sent him a tired looking one that sounded great....nothing like the sweet,warm and oh so listenable sound of valves despite the fact that my Dynaco has gone loopy on me again.....enjoy her ;)
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline sav

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 12:15:26 AM »
Thanks, yeah Im re-re-discovering all my music again. Can't stop listening. :)

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 03:33:34 AM »
You chaps probably loved AM radio too  :tongue:
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline sav

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 06:42:09 AM »
Haha no, not really.

Online Family_Dog

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 07:11:30 AM »
It will no doubt need a re-cap by now. If any of the valves are glowing cherry-red, switch it off immediately, you risk popping them as well as the output transformers. Re-caps are cheap, valves and O/P transformers are not.

But good find, enjoy it! ;)

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline sav

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 07:13:38 AM »
Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look.

Offline Crafty

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 08:12:22 AM »

I reckon I'm a valve convert. Next step I guess would be vinyl but I'm really trying hard to resist that temptation.

After I have restored the connoisseur for myself, I will get the other one working for you :-)
Order Lissie on vinyl, and listen it on that amp.
I will convince/Convert you!

Offline sav

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 10:38:50 AM »
Thanks, lets see though because I'm really trying hard not to get into another expensive hobby.

Online Family_Dog

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 02:47:52 PM »
You chaps probably loved AM radio too  :tongue:

Surprisingly, decent AM radio received through a TRF receiver will give FM a very good go for quality - and definitely will provide far greater range!

I built a TRF one-valve receiver yonks ago when I was living in Parkhurst and knee-high to a Chappies bubblegum wrapper and the quality was superb. Band-width was around 9kHz and it really sounded good. Today's super-heterodyne receivers will not match a TRF for audio quality, but surpass it in other aspects.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline charles

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 08:56:06 PM »
Dear sav,

Agree with Family-Dog regarding the replacing capacitors- at least replace the coupling capacitors. I will most of the time replace it before using a valve set. A leaking coupling capacitor may cause a DC voltage on the control grid of the output valves and may destroy it.

Kind Regards

Charles 

Offline Ampdog

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Straight from the horses mouth real truths
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 12:42:36 AM »
A further Zim$:

Remember that power supply electrolytics are also in the signal circuit. Difficult to inspect, but if the vent rubber show any cracks at all oxygen has probably leaked in and they are on their way out. Also not too expensive these days. [Also cathode resistor bypass caps, particularly below 10V.  (6V types famous for giving up the ghost.)]
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline sav

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 09:49:29 AM »
Hi guys

Thanks for the advice. I know zro about electronics so I'd have to get someone to check it out and replace those caps. I've had a lok and the valves are burning orange but I'd still want to ge it checked out to be on the safe side. Most of the valves have been replaced so I wouldn't want to risk damaging them.