Speaker Insulation

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackjack

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I have an idea of diminishing the sound that escapes/permeates through the back and sides of a speaker cabinet......and I would like to see what our mfundi's think.

Just as one would put a thermal blanket over a geyser to insulate it from the colder outside air and keep the water hotter for longer, I was thinking of building an 'outside speaker cave' made with dense wood (to reduce the lower frequencies from escaping) and heavy insulation (50mm).

This 'speaker cave' would be self standing and fit over the existing speaker and have a clearance on the top and sides of about 30mm, without touching the speaker cabinet.

The rear of this 'speaker cave' would be 'v' shaped which would hopefully kill/diminish the escaping soundwave, as it would not have parallel sides.

My idea is that ... if this 'speaker cave' can reduce ambient noise through top, back and sides by 50%, then the cabinet would be more efficient in projecting it's sound forward.

Just another of my ideas........all constructive ideas/comments/opinions welcome!