Author Topic: The Cape Town Sessions by Kent Kassler(no porkies in these reviews!)  (Read 24867 times)

Offline stereo247

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: The Cape Town Sessions by Kent Kassler(no porkies in these reviews!)
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 07:49:35 PM »
Again a huge grin on my face and me chuckling to myself much to my wife's worry... keep the reviews coming.

Offline Andrew

• FLBP Aficionado
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 08:07:44 PM »
Andre, if you wrote for AVSA maybe the poor maggie would actually be worth buying...

Brilliant write up!!!

Actually, I think someone booked a space in the magazine for the write-up...  :thinking:
Don't judge me for being quiet - no one plans a murder aloud.

Offline Prince

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 08:20:12 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

ROFL!!

-you got some skillz their Andre!!

:ROFLMAO:
"F5 Amp Power + Pedal Power = F5 Pedal Power"

Offline AlleyCat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 09:01:21 PM »
Hi Andre, You are TOPS!!! Geat reviews, a very enjoyable read. Have never laughed so loud when reading any of my other mags. Where do I subscribe?
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+58)
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 10:46:30 PM »
...a brief interval was most welcomed by all and some resorted to the consumption of alcohol,others sought an on-duty nurse at the Clicks pharmacy,i even saw one audiophile indulge in a half hour treatment in one of the Michael Jackson Oxygenation machines housed in the parking level(rca's firmly tucked in his inside pocket).Anorexics ate large foldovers,bulemics kept it down and the obese bought rice crackers......truly bizarre behaviour transpired after such a life changing listen.....then it was back to the slaughterhouse as groups of sulken faces with bent backs and folded shoulders returned for more......SeanS was next with his twin rear removeable tea tray,"I'll start with one design and change it as i see fit",2 way that he added a 3rd driver to,breadboard crossover block,black add-on baffle because i cut so many holes in the original Scanspeak floorstanders.......this diy'er clearly took internet advice from everyone who cared to comment and implemented it all into one design,i see a bit of Peter Walker,Henry Kloss and Andy Warhol in the cabinet design and quite clearly the crossover was co-designed by Ramrod and Charles Manson on a spree.......now usually such a mishmash of accidental discoveries combined with random application of the jigsaw can result in something beguilingly brilliant...................................................but no,sadly not i'm afraid,unless you feed these babies a strict diet of 1 piano note struck every minute or so it's just not gonna happen folks,the forest folk in Brazil are not gonna be pleased with the way their wood was used on this occasion,veils weren't lifted but the coroners sheet certainly was drawn.....in conclusion then...these are only slightly better than Alty's.....
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline adie

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 10:50:27 PM »
Kent you're Super!
Keep them coming Andre. What a good read! :clap: :notworthy:

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2012, 08:04:16 AM »
Brian was next up with the "2 Bricks and a Tickey High's"....they travelled all the way from George in the luscious Garden Route to show us that Korean Aliens have landed in this sleepy town.Brian's adopted two Tang Rose and Woody Band never left his side during the 4hr journey and based on their width they stopped at every Engen Wimpy along the way and were given a fine rub on the cheeks for good behaviour and an extra vienna when they promised to sing well.The pair were rightly adored by the masses as they sat perched on their high-chairs resembling twin "Jabba the Huts"....but these babies were brought to display a vocal prowess we were anxious to hear so we moved them from a peaceful slumber into the limelight and fed them an American cable and interconnect(both a bad and insensitive move)....our actions resulted in a tantrum that made Vietnam look like a team motivation excercise,they screamed and shouted,peed and farted through the demonstration as if a napalm attack flashback had suddenly entered their re-incarnated minds....wails of terror in fullrange splendor filled the room....i shudder at the very thought of what might have happened if we'd spun Billy's "Goodnight Saigon"....Brian,put them on diet,feed them powdered suppliments,try concertina wire as interconnects and if this does not work then sell them to Angelina for a healthy sum ;)
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline u235

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • I'm sure I can hear the difference now.........
    • Youngblood Consultants
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2012, 09:10:34 AM »
Aaah, the delights of the unrestrained wordsmith. Sweetly crafted (doffs hat). In olden times suitable reward would have been administered on the rack! >:D :clap:
Upon the plains bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the dawn of victory paused to rest, and there resting died.

Offline Rodney_gold

• R.I.P. 5 June 2018
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2012, 09:59:07 AM »
Was there anything there that actually sounded good..... ?
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline iondb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2012, 10:30:26 AM »

+1

**although my limited vocabulary might misread the reviews  :roll:**

Offline frikkie

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2012, 10:38:22 AM »
+1

**although my limited vocabulary might misread the reviews  :roll:**

Plenty. Stars of the show to me was SeanS' floorstanders, and dodja's F5/SRPP creation.

These two items made music you can immerse yourself in, forgetting about the equipment. Which, to me, is what this hobby is all about - enjoying the music without having to worry about what the equipment sounds or looks like.
Sometimes I drink a glass of water... Just to surprise my liver.

Offline Stefan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2012, 10:57:24 AM »

Years of listening to puny amps with little glass bottles adding coloration/distortion and "full range"(more like a midranges forced to perform treble and bass)speakers obviously makes Andre biased - he wouldn't know whether he was listening to Napalm Death or Katie Melua wIth all that distortion he's used to.
;D
(Insert inspirational quote)

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2012, 12:05:20 PM »
Frikkie, i actually agree with you but i wanted to "immerse" myself into a coma or at least an electrified bath to be honest.....and being a professional reviewer means that i refuse to enter into a mudslinging contest with you gentlemen....i was simply delivering things as i experienced it and Stefan....you're young and fresh looking(so i forgive you) and will someday realise that fullrange drivers and milliwatts are the only way young Jedi,sell those anchors,take your beautiful partner out to a lovely restaurant, apologise for neglecting her to pursue boyish fantasies,tell her you love her and then purchase an LG Soundbar for the bedroom....you wont believe just how much more rewarding such an action will be.....then pm me your kind words of gratitude. ;)

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2012, 12:08:05 PM »
Plenty. Stars of the show to me was SeanS' floorstanders, and dodja's F5/SRPP creation.

These two items made music you can immerse yourself in, forgetting about the equipment. Which, to me, is what this hobby is all about - enjoying the music without having to worry about what the equipment sounds or looks like.
...so you thought they were ugly? ;D

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • :-)
    • Turntable sales Cape Town
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2012, 12:08:17 PM »

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter: