Author Topic: The Cape Town Sessions by Kent Kassler(no porkies in these reviews!)  (Read 20652 times)

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • :-)
    • Turntable sales Cape Town
Re: The Cape Town Sessions by Kent Kassler(no porkies in these reviews!)
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 07:30:58 PM »
....anyone have a pic of Dodja's magnificent r2d2 amps.....dont you dare change a thing on those beaut's sir....it is perfect the first time round and changing it would be a sin....they are MAGNIFICENT!

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline frikkie

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
Sometimes I drink a glass of water... Just to surprise my liver.

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • cables make a difference
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 07:56:36 PM »
Thanks for the reminder
Contact me for denon, monitor audio,klipsch, rotel,boston,velodyne,marantz,oppo,  B&W.any many more quality brands. We install home cinema , dstv and top line security systems.we now also do nad, mission and psb.yamaha,onkyo,integra,Cambridge audio.svs

Offline stereo247

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 09:28:59 PM »
Andre, if you wrote for AVSA maybe the poor maggie would actually be worth buying...

Brilliant write up!!!

Offline d0dja

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 10:03:36 PM »
Thanks all you okes, it was a fun way to spend a saturday. Inspired me to put some hours into a number of partly completed projects.

Big thumbs up to vivo and listening room for making it possible.

It was nice to hear my amps through some good speakers.

Had a thought it might be nice to set up a big DIY/used sale day ....a market for hi fi gear, where more people can discover that DIY and old but loved stuff can give them biiiiiiiig bang for their buck compared to buying new. But I guess that would take a big promo budget to get enough punters there.. hmm. Thinks. Thinks.

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+57)
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 08:22:46 AM »
.....next up are the imposing "Zat's Really Terrific's" of Stefan's....let me cut to the chase and just say that these babies look like Tori Spelling immediately after some sidestreet Nicaraguan put a butterknife to her chest(thin at the rear, eye-poppingly forward in front,fatally scarred and about to collapse under pressure)......something went wrong?...a perfectly decent rectangular box must have been left out in the rain and morphed into a bizarre teardrop( it did make me cry?) shape that now removes coloration from the equation??In all my years of taking numerous calls from garage and kitchen table builders who want some form of advice as to what appeals to me it would appear that my words have not impacted on them.....ADD COLORATION!!!Stuff it,fluff it,fill the straight line cuts in the cones with putty,remove bracing,let the cabinet waffle and vibrate and dammit i guarantee you it will be listenable.....the sound from these makes me think of the wise words i will receive from a man i haven't yet met that i dont know what he'll say....you with me?I JUST DONT KNOW???Yes it might have been the test disc filled with whistling fairies doing a blind man's song or Katie Melua turning our "Wonderful World" into one i'd sooner depart from....i even reached a point where i wanted to cut off Jack's Johnson because i believed that it and i would be "Better Together".....anyway unlike the speakers i dont mean to come across harsh but Stef......next time keep 'em indoors and they wont warp......
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 08:34:43 AM »
....time to reflect and spend a few moments on one of the days momentus successes.......Byrd's combination of Floorstanders,solidstate integrated and dac........truly impeccable combination......see-through listenability,transparency that made ghosts visible,almost a sense that nothing was there,just the artists and their instruments.......Byrd could not make it sadly!
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline The Godfather

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 09:58:31 AM »
....time to reflect and spend a few moments on one of the days momentus successes.......Byrd's combination of Floorstanders,solidstate integrated and dac........truly impeccable combination......see-through listenability,transparency that made ghosts visible,almost a sense that nothing was there,just the artists and their instruments.......Byrd could not make it sadly!
:ROFLMAO:

:thumbs: Transparency was what I was going for. Glad that come across!

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 10:19:23 AM »
....i'm nervous Ross....nobody is giving me feedback on my reviews?....perhaps i'm not destined for greatness in this area then?....shall we move on to the Shonver and Prakash speaker collaboration?

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 10:46:04 AM »
...the 2 way Hi-Vi standmounters built and prepared by Prakash via verbal instruction and written apology for non active input by Shonver were truly handmade from the splinters of particle board gathered from years of building more important speakers.....some alcolin and these splinters were shaped to form the carcass of these cute outdoor speakers that for the purpose of this review were moved to the indoor, front position.......these sounded particularly excellent for such a design and i know many a taxi driver that would gladly swop out their 6x9's for a pair of these Hi-Vi's at the back of their Hi-Ace.....these dealt with the Katie Melua track better than any before as a greasy fingerprint forced the Sugden to skip right past her and for that she moves up to a Stereophile class A rating...the Sugden that is!....Listeners in general enjoyed these considerably more than the rest as they were played at a lower level which allowed the neighbouring clothing store's  Abba  soundtrack to filter through....most pleasing this was and i was tempted to ask for the cd on loan because i once had a crush on Agnetha when i was younger and often fantasized about her during a pimple-faced hormonal youth,i remember wondering if the 4 of them shared single hotel rooms and what a blast that must have been....i remember my mother bragging that i was the cleanest boy in the neighbourhood because i was in the bathroom more often than any other and never without an album cover with Agnetha on it!....anyway the Abba mood has given me a slight bias in favour of these little devil's and as such i must give them(and Agnetha) a healthy "Thumbs up!"

Offline Blackjack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 10:51:12 AM »

....i'm nervous Ross....nobody is giving me feedback on my reviews?....perhaps i'm not destined for greatness in this area then?....shall we move on to the Shonver and Prakash speaker collaboration?

Sorry.............. Andre, absolutely bodacious so far  :clap: please don't let me interrupt :coffee:
Pity the man who says:"It cannot be done", for he is likely to be interrupted by another man doing it!

Offline Rodney_gold

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 11:08:51 AM »
I like your reviewing style , and yes , it is better to spend more time on onanistic pursuits that include swedish chicks than listen to a swedish chick.................
Anyway , keep going....or is that all?
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline frikkie

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 11:15:48 AM »
...the 2 way Hi-Vi standmounters built and prepared by Prakash via verbal instruction and written apology for non active input by Shonver were truly handmade from the splinters of particle board gathered from years of building more important speakers.....some alcolin and these splinters were shaped to form the carcass of these cute outdoor speakers that for the purpose of this review were moved to the indoor, front position.......these sounded particularly excellent for such a design and i know many a taxi driver that would gladly swop out their 6x9's for a pair of these Hi-Vi's at the back of their Hi-Ace.....these dealt with the Katie Melua track better than any before as a greasy fingerprint forced the Sugden to skip right past her and for that she moves up to a Stereophile class A rating...the Sugden that is!....Listeners in general enjoyed these considerably more than the rest as they were played at a lower level which allowed the neighbouring clothing store's  Abba  soundtrack to filter through....most pleasing this was and i was tempted to ask for the cd on loan because i once had a crush on Agnetha when i was younger and often fantasized about her during a pimple-faced hormonal youth,i remember wondering if the 4 of them shared single hotel rooms and what a blast that must have been....i remember my mother bragging that i was the cleanest boy in the neighbourhood because i was in the bathroom more often than any other and never without an album cover with Agnetha on it!....anyway the Abba mood has given me a slight bias in favour of these little devil's and as such i must give them(and Agnetha) a healthy "Thumbs up!"

LOL! When we left Di wanted to go to Spar downstairs - what was playing? Chiquitita... ;D
Sometimes I drink a glass of water... Just to surprise my liver.

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 04:17:21 PM »
Thanks all you okes, it was a fun way to spend a saturday. Inspired me to put some hours into a number of partly completed projects.

Big thumbs up to vivo and listening room for making it possible.

It was nice to hear my amps through some good speakers.

Had a thought it might be nice to set up a big DIY/used sale day ....a market for hi fi gear, where more people can discover that DIY and old but loved stuff can give them biiiiiiiig bang for their buck compared to buying new. But I guess that would take a big promo budget to get enough punters there.. hmm. Thinks. Thinks.
...you know i'll be there ;)

Online SeanS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 07:39:43 PM »
I'm hoping you spend some time reflecting on those speaker cables in your review... inbetween listening session 1 & 2 AR & I reconected the one cable termination (I spat on it to increase left channel connectivity (nobody saw.. secret tweak)). I wonder if anyone picked up the extra bloom in the midrange (session 2), the way the soundstage opened up way outside of the shopping centre... ..     .