Reader Query, April.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AVSA Andrew

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a NAD Master series system consisting of an M15 pre amp, M27 power amp, M55 disc player coupled to a Mission Elegante speaker system (E82 fronts, E80 surrounds, E8c centre and E8AS2 sub). I also have a REL Q150E sub connected coupled to the front outputs (Lo level) positioned in the left corner facing into the centre of the room. The Mission E8AS2 sub is linked via the sub output and is positioned at the back left. Roll over frequencies are set at 100 Hz for both units.

Although the system sounds good, I believe that it could sound even better with the correct tweaks. My dilemma is that I have not found a supplier or installer in my area that seems capable of giving me good honest advice. (Cape Town). Not being an experienced reviewer, I am not sure how to describe the ?deficiencies? that I feel are in my system. There is what I suppose is a ringing effect of the high frequencies which tends to detract from the cleanliness of the sound. Also at times is seems as though frequencies are competing against each other ?smudging? the sound. I realise that the quality of the reproduction is only as good as the recording and have therefore attempted to find music that I like in the SACD?s and audio DVD?s format. (The choice seems to be very limited). The dimension of my lounge is about 5m by 4.2m with a low roof. The walls are un-plastered and the floor is covered with a plush wall to wall carpet. The furniture in the room consists of a plush leather three seater facing the front speakers (which are toed in slightly), a two seater on the right and 3 single seaters on the left. (All plush leather recliners). The windows are heavily curtained.

Even with the ?high quality? recordings, I feel that the system is not delivering what it is capable of. At times the music seems to be rough and unclear. As if the system is trying to deliver frequencies that it is not actually capable of delivering. I have read every bit of advice in your magazine since subscribing a year or so ago but am unsure where to focus. I am prepared to spend money to optimise the system but I don?t want to throw money at the problem without understanding what I am doing.

One of areas of my system that I suspect is not up to scratch is the interlinks. I am using cables built for me by (a local AV dealer). They assure me that they are ?good? cables but the two fronts are using an off the shelf splitter from the pre amp to the power amp for by-amping purposes. I am not sure what make the speaker cables are, but I paid about R150/m for them (Bi wire). The system is housed in an oregon pine home made cabinet that does not isolate the equipment very well.

Where should I be spending my money? The interlinks, the stand, the speaker cables?.....

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. (My budget for the tweaks is R10k tops)

Kind regards

Roland Cook

Latest posts