How can Audio Tweak justify their pricing for Oppo DVD players?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AudioEngineer

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
The Oppo DV-981HD is listed on the Oppo web site for $229 (see http://www.oppodigital.com/dv981hd/dv981hd_index.html). The local dealer, Audio Tweak, offers the same item for R4400, which is equivalent to $550 at the current exchange rate of $1 = R8! And then they even have the gumption to advertise it as a "bargain" on their website!

I don't mind paying 15% to 20% more locally, but at 100% it smells like exploitation and daylight robbery to me. I would really like to know how Audio Tweak can justify their pricing. Also, as a dealer they probably receive a dealership discount on the products from Oppo, so that makes their markup even higher.

Until they provide more realistic prices I'll vote with my wallet and import my next Oppo unit (the DV-983-H) directly from the USA, just like I did with my current Oppo DV-970H two to three years ago. That's one sale lost to you guys at Audio Tweak. And shame on you for trying to exploit your customers!

Ok, that was my rant for the day...