Author Topic: A vote of confidence for Resonant Frequency's service  (Read 6948 times)

Offline Katji

Re: A vote of confidence for Resonant Frequency's service
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 10:41:57 AM »
 :D  That means the workshop looks interesting.

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Far Far away there was a land that was far away.
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 12:07:20 PM »
Just got a SMS now, sub is fix. That was really fast, and I drop it of yesterday just before 5pm.
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline BJ

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 06:43:09 PM »
So time to revive this post. Yesterday I pop in by Riaan at Resonant Frequency to refoam a REL 12" sub for me. Really nice Afrikaans Oomie and we had a lekker chat about cycling after he find out that I'm a avid cycles to. Some nice speakers and subs standing in his repair shop. Will keep posted when I get the sub back and will take some photos of his work shop.

What a lovely gesture....

Rodney had a way to uplift normal people.....not so much the main stream Audio Retailers.....gave me a lot of Sh_t when I opened my shop in Canal Walk.

Back then I though he was a real As___ole. But over the years I realized the golden blessings of this guy into ordinary people's lives.

We truly need more Rodney's in this world...

I met Riaan in early 2000's just after we moved down to CT.

Did business with his brother(Willie) up north for all our speaker repairs, and Riaan seemed to be the logical choice...

Great guy, in a way a bit eccentric.....

We had some negative situations over the years, but hey, that's business.  More importantly was the way we managed the negatives, and turned them into positives.

So much so, that after 18 years of having dealt with him, I would unconditionally run to him for any Speaker repairs in CT

:thumbs: :thumbs:
Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline Adagio

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • "Keep your coins, I want Change"
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 07:47:57 PM »
What a lovely gesture....

Rodney had a way to uplift normal people.....not so much the main stream Audio Retailers.....gave me a lot of Sh_t when I opened my shop in Canal Walk.

Back then I though he was a real As___ole. But over the years I realized the golden blessings of this guy into ordinary people's lives.

We truly need more Rodney's in this world...

I met Riaan in early 2000's just after we moved down to CT.

Did business with his brother(Willie) up north for all our speaker repairs, and Riaan seemed to be the logical choice...

Great guy, in a way a bit eccentric.....

We had some negative situations over the years, but hey, that's business.  More importantly was the way we managed the negatives, and turned them into positives.

So much so, that after 18 years of having dealt with him, I would unconditionally run to him for any Speaker repairs in CT

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Very well, said.  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:

Riaan is a highly pleasant chap. Two or three times a year will just arrive at his workshop & he is always hugely welcoming and we spend the next 3 - 4 hours talking randomly about cycling anything from tandem modifications and gear ratios to mountain bikes, surfski paddling and his modified Fenn Millenium complete with 'brandy and coke' custom outriggers, gym workouts, monstrous custom over-powered car speaker systems of his youth, sailboards and the like.

Have huge respect for the man, he is definitely unique, and highly knowledgeable no matter what the other's might say.  :cool:

Offline Chingy

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 07:56:01 AM »
Can really agree with all of the above

Riaan did my Tannoys and also the proac center for me, and also a Philips 3inch soft dome midrange ( :drool: :notworthy: ) that's he did in about 3 days turnaround

Someone needs to learn from him, that roof, wow, it's loaded with some speakers  :nutter: :notworthy:

Regards
Craig   
Zaph 2,5way Scan Speak ZRT Speakers built by Gearslave(Gert)

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 11:10:38 AM »
Can really agree with all of the above

Riaan did my Tannoys and also the proac center for me, and also a Philips 3inch soft dome midrange ( :drool: :notworthy: ) that's he did in about 3 days turnaround

Someone needs to learn from him, that roof, wow, it's loaded with some speakers  :nutter: :notworthy:

Regards
Craig

Craig, you can say that again, that roof is loaded with speakers. Like a massive Bass bin!!  :giggle:

Wanted to go collect the sub yesterday but the roads where crazy with the power out. Will collect tomorrow and take some photos.

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 11:13:47 AM »
Very well, said.  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:

Riaan is a highly pleasant chap. Two or three times a year will just arrive at his workshop & he is always hugely welcoming and we spend the next 3 - 4 hours talking randomly about cycling anything from tandem modifications and gear ratios to mountain bikes, surfski paddling and his modified Fenn Millenium complete with 'brandy and coke' custom outriggers, gym workouts, monstrous custom over-powered car speaker systems of his youth, sailboards and the like.

Have huge respect for the man, he is definitely unique, and highly knowledgeable no matter what the other's might say.  :cool:

@Adagio You must actually go pop in by him and go check his new bike. He was in a accident with the Marcello, so he got him self a Giant Propel and build all the 8 speed stuff over. 

Offline Adagio

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • "Keep your coins, I want Change"
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 11:27:32 AM »

Have seen the new Giant, Gerlach!  :)

It's meticulous. :2thumbs:

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2018, 04:12:08 PM »
So pop in yesterday afternoon and collect the REL sub. Looks really good. He did some extra stuff on the sub to. Now I need to play it in first.

Offline Res Freq

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2019, 08:37:08 AM »
I just want to set something straight. This business is not Riaan Louw trading as Resonant Frequency. It is Resonant Frequency, consisting of two equal partners, who is trading. Lots of the work that everbody is ascribing to Riaan, is actually done by the other  partner. So, yes, the business is excellent, but it must be ascribed due two people, not just by putting one on a pedastal.

Offline Baseline

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2019, 10:15:58 AM »
I am truly sorry to have to be the one to throw a spanner in the works, but the quality of work coming out of Resonant Frequency is not always the best and is in some cases very disturbing. I have used Resonant Frequency since around 2012 to repair items I was selling on, usually just driver surrounds that needed replacing. I also highly recommended them to anyone needing speaker repairs. However, a little over a year ago, I took a pair of Bose 601 speakers in to Riaan. The speakers had non-Bose woofers in when I bought them, so I supplied Riaan with the complete speakers plus 4 original Bose woofers plus 4 new surrounds for those woofers. Several tweeters were also not working which as it turned out, was due to faulty internal connections. The stickers on the non-Bose woofers indicated that they had at some point been installed by Resonant Frequency.

When I collected the speakers, Riaan told me about the faulty connections and showed me a piece of paper on which he sketched out a wiring diagram to get all the drivers working. This immediately threw up a red flag, why would you try to devise a way to connect the drivers when the original Bose service manual is available for free online? It shows the correct wiring procedure which is very specific and tells one how to test the speaker for frequency response and SPL levels after repair.

At any rate, I took the speakers home and they simply did not sound right. Having owned a pair previously and by simply reading reviews online, anyone will know that these speakers are known for their deep and natural bottom end. Well... this pair lacked the bottom end as well as the overall punch that they are known for. Thank goodness there is a new player in the speaker repair business who is not just enthusiastic and passionate about speaker repair, but is importing all the best repair materials and is intent on becoming the "go-to" guy in speaker repair and supplies. He opened the speakers, showed me the incorrect wiring, removed a woofer and tested it and the computer readout showed that the driver frequency response had been altered due to "spider stiffening". Instead of going down to 40Hz as intended by Bose, it now only went to 50Hz. If you stiffen a spider which Resonant Frequency routinely do by gluing either a second spider to the original or even gluing what looks like carpet underfelt in under the spider, you fundamentally change the driver's specifications by altering the range of excursion. I was also shown other clients speakers that were brought in because they did not sound right and the stickers on the magnets revealed that Resonant Frequency had stiffened the spiders. Needless to say, I will not be using nor recommending Resonant Frequency's services any longer.
.It's all about the Music.

Offline BJ

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2019, 12:15:42 PM »
I just want to set something straight. This business is not Riaan Louw trading as Resonant Frequency. It is Resonant Frequency, consisting of two equal partners, who is trading. Lots of the work that everbody is ascribing to Riaan, is actually done by the other  partner. So, yes, the business is excellent, but it must be ascribed due two people, not just by putting one on a pedastal.
Credit were credit is due...

Elsa, you have been a Pilar for that company for years now.

Many thanks for all the excellent work that you have done for me and AV Counsel over the years.

On a personal note....How is your health doing?

Regards
Ben

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2019, 12:38:20 PM »
I have never had work done by them, but I know their work. I have had many speakers through my hands that bear their mark. Unfortunately, the impression I have of that operation is "'n boer maak 'n plan". IOW, "We'll get it fixed by hook or by crook". There seems to be little regard for manufacturers' original specifications. In one instance, a respected forum member offered me a pair of woofers which he assured me had been "done by Riaan", and was still wrapped. I got them home and it was a complete disaster: terrible blobs of glue and one cone was visibly offset from the other. I'm sure he was embarrassed when I told him no thanks and explained the reason why.

But, there are those who swear by Resonant Frequency. Maybe Elsa should take the opportunity to explain why the Dr Jekyll-and-Mr Hyde situation exists regarding their quality.

DON'T PANIC
Capie