My latest and greatest pair yet, and they are on their way...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimGore

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Firstly, let me say that its nice to be back - my PC crashed a couple of weeks ago  :headbanger:, and I only managed to get it back online yesterday.  I have alot of reading to do here in order to catch up with whats been happening in my absence!

Fortunately I don't need a PC to finish building speakers!

Here are my latest (and as the heading says) greatest set of speakers yet.  I went all out on these:

DSC02231.JPG

DSC02237.JPG

DSC02244.JPG

DSC02248.JPG

DSC02253.JPG

DSC02260.JPG

DSC02268.JPG

DSC02217.JPG

The wood used is a custom laminate I had made up, and is around 26mm thick.  The Americans call this type of finish murdered (dead flat), and is offset somewhat by the satin finished Bubinga trim pieces and foot.

The 3 cabinets are isolated from each other & only touch by means of rubber grommets, etc.  The drivers are isolated from the cabinet, and are not attached to the baffles with any fastners - I opted to use a half inch diameter aluminium connecting rod which pulls the driver onto the baffle from the back of the cabinet, whilst also providing some reinforcement to the driver frame and motor.

The speakers are hybrid high efficiency / standard efficiency.  The midrange and tweeter are high efficiency, with the bass drivers being standard efficiency in order to pruduce the low notes.  Frequency response is around 35Hz to well over 23kHz.  I managed to get the 95% final crossover done within about 2 to 3 days, but spent a number of weeks getting it to where it is now - the 100% version.  I have had some visitors over who have heard these in varying degrees of being complete, however the 100% version is quite a bit better than previous versions.

Even though I originally built these for me, they have found a new home & will be leaving my place in around 3 to 4 weeks time.  If anyone is interested in coming over and listening to the best speakers I have built to date, please feel free to PM me while I have these in place.  My place is quite small, so I cannot accomodate more han 2 people at a time.

Kind regards,
Ian.

Latest posts