Building a system piece-by-piece

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrat

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
So, here's the plan....

Firstly, I'll be building a system slowly, getting value for money along with quality. I don't mind secondhand goods as long as they're in good condition. But I don't have anything specific in mind, I'll keep an eye out, read the reviews, and wait until I find something worthwile. Since I already have a receiver (Denon AVR1603, entry-level, I know, but good enough for now), and the rest just basically being crappy, what advice would you give me on what my next purchase should be? CD/DVD Player or start with speakers? And how would you go about getting speakers, start with floorstands, then sub, then center, etc?  (going for 5.1) The challenge here is that I won't be able to do it all at once. I know it's tricky terrain, since you shouldn't really mix brands unless you know what you're doing...  :-\

I'll eventually upgrade to a receiver like the Yamaha 663BL, or something more "mid-range", and using same speakers on that.

I'm looking at spending about R15k on the rest of my upgrades, albeit over a year or two. I've been trawling the classifieds, and think I could get a pretty decent(ish) system for that price?

Latest posts