Author Topic: Source of diffusers  (Read 10178 times)

Offline TurboRexed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
Re: Source of diffusers
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 06:21:55 AM »
Great info, thanks

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 08:51:44 AM »
Brett of Genesis Acoustics just came back to me with a QRD diffuser proposal, awaiting a price for 6 m^2 in 1.2m heigh panels.

Offline ian laban

• AVForums Member
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 08:01:34 AM »
Where can one source diffusers in SA? I am looking at what can be bought off the shelf before I look at DIY options.

Where do you want to put them? And what are you hoping to achieve with them?  Diffusers can be good-looking or downright ugly

Offline Timber_MG

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 08:31:28 AM »
I'll likely play around with various setups, but my initial planned setup is 4 m^2 on the rear and 2m^2 on the front walls.

I have not heard back on the QRD panels and to date do not yet have pricing to go on. I am looking for diffusion and not just scattering so I may have to look at the DIY option in more depth. Anyone care to recommend people who'd resaw 100m+ running length of timber? Don't know whether my bandsaw would do that and it'd likely take quite a while.

Offline Tourist

• AVForums Member
  • SA Leaders in Noise Reduction & Studio Treatments
    • Foamrite Acoustics
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 05:03:15 PM »
Why not just get from Foamrite Acoustics?
SA Leaders in Noise Reduction & Studio Treatments

Offline colonel66

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 05:23:47 PM »
Why not just get from Foamrite Acoustics?

are you affiliated to foamrite acoustics? two posts and both on the product?

Offline chefboyct

• AVForums Member
  • Newbies but getting there
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 05:47:30 PM »
they are coming out to see me tomorrow and do all the necessary measurement and advice. I can't wait!

Looks like the panels manufactured by Strandfoam (foamrite) here in cape town. They have other products though.

http://www.foamrite-acoustics.co.za/products.html

Offline Timber_MG

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 06:21:34 PM »
Perhaps start a thread on this acoustics sub-forum and share the knowledge gained?

Offline chefboyct

• AVForums Member
  • Newbies but getting there
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 12:41:27 PM »
They came and see me today and just waiting for their e-mail for some specifications as what I will need. I hope its not going to break an arm and leg for me. I have two windows and one sliding door...  :(  :nfi:

they are coming out to see me tomorrow and do all the necessary measurement and advice. I can't wait!

Offline Timber_MG

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 03:44:10 PM »
There are DIY options as well. I built some stepped diffusers lately and 3m^2 made a heck of a difference to the liveliness and spaciousness.

Perfectionist and others will def. give you some good inputs regards treatment. If you treat, better treat the points you address as well as you can. When offered 50mm absorption, definitely re-look at either spacing it well from the wall or rather look at 100mm as a good baseline. Too thin absorption leaves the bottom end untouched and deadens the top end.

Offline perfectionist

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 05:13:12 AM »
chefboyct before you go ahead with the purchase from the guys who came out to measure your room it would be a good idea to to post your room and what they suggest you use to get more info on whether the advice given is sound and not products that have unfounded claims. There are alot of guys here that have first hand experience and some who have more that could help you sothat you don't waste your money unnecessarily. I'm not disputing whoever you went to but there are many companies that have NRC values that are just not possible with their products, so please be weary.

Timber_MG what frequency range did you go with, with your diffusers?

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2014, 07:01:43 AM »
chefboyct before you go ahead with the purchase from the guys who came out to measure your room it would be a good idea to to post your room and what they suggest you use to get more info on whether the advice given is sound and not products that have unfounded claims. There are alot of guys here that have first hand experience and some who have more that could help you sothat you don't waste your money unnecessarily. I'm not disputing whoever you went to but there are many companies that have NRC values that are just not possible with their products, so please be weary.

Timber_MG what frequency range did you go with, with your diffusers?

Gotta love this forum and its people  :thumbs:
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Timber_MG

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 02:21:47 PM »
Scattering from ~400Hz and diffusion 800Hz-5kHz in a low order 35 element diffractal layout covering ~3m^2 (still experimenting a little with the modulation, I could have diffusion from 500Hz). That's about 2 octaves more diffusion bandwidth than a typical 50mm MLS Shroeder diffuser. The 2D amplitude grating panels diffuse somewhat probably above 1kHz and absorb below but have 6-8 m^2 coverage.