Author Topic: Source of diffusers  (Read 11236 times)

Offline Timber_MG

Source of diffusers
« on: May 02, 2012, 12:11:19 PM »
Where can one source diffusers in SA? I am looking at what can be bought off the shelf before I look at DIY options.

Offline cybasoul

Re: Source of diffusers
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 12:31:27 PM »
Im interested to know even though I will still go DIY anyway. Although I doubt you will get nice looking professionally made ones locally, I stand to be surprises though.

Offline MorneDJ

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 12:45:03 PM »
We have a meeting at Saint-gobain later this month, but I will be in the cape unfortunately. I will ask my friend whether he will attend, and if he does, whether he can ask them whether they can supply in SA. They supply overseas studios, why not in SA.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, as you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup ...

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 12:55:48 PM »
I am looking to see whether one can source diffusers cost effectively as building them is quite an undertaking. However if they're not available or not viable from a cost POV i'll program up the router and cut something.

Offline Fonet AV Systems

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 12:58:54 PM »
Hi give me a shout I have access to SA locally made Acoustic treatment products, base traps, studio diffuser panels and loads of other products.
Warren Brown
Manager at FONET AV Systems 
sales@fonet.co.za
011 894 6962
073 400 3010

Offline MorneDJ

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 01:03:40 PM »
That would be nice. Please post some photos/diagrams/specs and prices. I am actually looking for a number now.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, as you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup ...

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 01:05:50 PM »
And please specify nature and performance characteristics of absorptive materials used.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 01:19:03 PM »
I just phoned and he referenced a genesis acoustics product which is a pyramidical panel. Seems more like a scattering panel than a diffuser.

I guess it's this: http://www.genesisacoustics.co.za/productdetails.php?id=100021

I haven't yet seen a 1D QRD diffuser on offer here, failing which I'll probably build panels.

Offline The Godfather

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 02:13:32 PM »
Looks like the panels manufactured by Strandfoam (foamrite) here in cape town. They have other products though.

http://www.foamrite-acoustics.co.za/products.html

Offline Hennie

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 02:55:24 PM »
Auralex has 1D semi-QRD styrofoam panels suitable for water based painting. Check if the local agent stocks them.

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 03:04:55 PM »
Our own forum member, Mike M, DIYed some QRD Panels http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php?topic=6409.0

I might go with more repetitions of a smaller period and their inverse or a fractal design.

Genesis came with a cost of around R2400 for 4 m^2 and will revert with more specifics for proper diffusers.

Offline Hennie

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 03:40:50 PM »
Depending on the size of the area you want to treat, wooden diffusers like that help to darken the room if video projection is a priority.

But keeping diffusers clean and dust free is always an issue. Tiles that are easy to paint are helpful in this regard. For anything else you may need you air compressor once in a while.... :)

Offline Hannibal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
  • electrostats and valves are the only way........
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 11:35:54 AM »
Where can one source diffusers in SA? I am looking at what can be bought off the shelf before I look at DIY options.
Try www.acousticpanels.co.za or http://www.acousticconsultants.co.za/ or call Michel Batista 0113122644 / 0722597046 directly.

He consulted with me at no cost and I bought some bass traps from him some time ago, I recon he will have what you are looking for.

[edited to correct web references]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 07:27:36 AM by audiomuze »
Its all in the MIND.

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 12:00:56 PM »
Interresting diffusers at the acoustic panels site, including some MLS diffusers and some 2d stuff. Not found 1D QRD diffusers yet though.

The data on the diffusers is highly suspect though with high scattering values at impossibly low frequencies for the panel depths.

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 01:31:01 PM »
Michael was a real pleasure speaking to and is obviously very well versed in the field and gives out great advice. Highly recommended.

I am awaiting product pricing and technical details.