My Room Treatment - Beware, lots of images

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorneDJ

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi,

I at last had a bit of time this weekend to finish my long planned bass traps. I did the room measurements last year already before I did anything. As can be seen I had some room node and reflection problems. In real listening terms the reflections were not that bad as the measurement may reflect (audible vs measurements).

20120210%20-%20LF%20Decay%20copy.jpg

No room treatment, just furniture. All measurements using only front speakers (Jamo C809)

20120501.1%20-%20LF%20Decay%20copy.jpg

After I have completed 2 basstraps. I have not optimized the position of the basstraps, speaker placement and broadband absorbers (for reflections).

Just a few images of the basstraps I selected to build. Each trap is 600 x 640 x 1240 mm. The bottom trap is fitted with small casterwheels to allow easy movement around the room.

Plywood%20Case%20Empty.jpg

Just the empty plywood frame.

Case%20Grid%20installed.jpg

Used cheap concrete reinforced bars to keep the Isotherm in control.

Roll%201%20Isotherm.jpg

First roll of Isotherm fitted. Removing from the roll as it is easier to fit into the frame. I also throw in the plastic wrapping of one roll.

Roll%202%20Isotherm.jpg

Second roll installed. I tried fitting 3 rolls but that proved rather difficult.

Isotherm%20installed.jpg

Two rolls later and grid fixed.

First%20CFP.jpg

I add two compressed fibreglass panels on the two sides that faces the room. The panels also have an acoustic membrane on the one side. Will do tests later to see whether it really helps.

Calico%20Cover%20Complete.jpg

First layer of linen added to keep the glassfibres in bay.

2%20of%204.jpg

Two of the four bass traps. They will be covered at a later stage with some material after me and the wife decided on the material ... colour, pattern, type, etc. Also visible is some of the broadband absorbers to control reflections. I unfortunately sit with a weird room shape with windows and doors at the wrong spots.

Other%202%20of%204.jpg

Other two. Last one need to be covered, but kids wanted to watch a movie, so I had to get out. Used some of the traps to silence the dam compressor.

Next step.

- Get more compressed fibreglass as I have to fill the openings behind the blinds to control that reflections.
- Finish the helmholtz absorbers. To sort out the 66 Hz node.
- Select final material and make pretty.
- Play around with placement of speakers, absorbers and traps.
- Fit broadband absorbers at final spot.

I unfortunately need to go to the cape for about 3 weeks next week, so will only be able to finish later this year, but will update with measurements as I progress.

Latest posts