Help me choose my first LCD TV

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu

Reaction score
Below are some pics of my HT setup. I feel the CRT TV is really letting my system down and wanna upgrade to a bigger LCD but dont really know much about this technology and the feeling I get from alot of salesmen is that they dont know much either, just suggesting whats on the shelf and fits in budget, so I would like your help.

DSCF0297.jpg

DSCF0291.jpg

My first question is size. From the pictures you can see that the couch is pretty close to the TV. I actually measured it at just over 2 meters from my eyes to the position where a LCD screen would be. I assume from this that the smaller panels are better. Would a 37 inch screen be okay or should I stick to 32 inch?

The second question is Brand. The main ones seem to be Sony, Samsung (my favourite), LG and to a lesser extent Panasonic? Are there any other brands I should be looking at or any that should be avoided? What does everyone suggest. What about the cheaper "no name" type brands like Sin-Tech (Game, Makro) and Sansui (HiFi Warehouse). My CRT is Sansui and to be honest it has impressed me. When I bought it I put it next to the comparable LG in the shop and I reckon its picture was better so thats why I got it. Had it for about 5 years and no problems.

Third question is HD Ready or Full HD. Obviously we all want full HD but is it worth the extra cost? My DVD Player has upscaling to 1080p and I have my PC connected as a HTPC which can run at a pretty high resolution. I may add a Blu Ray Rom to the PC sometime in the future if prices drop but this isnt definitive. I may play a few PC Games through the system aswell. I dont really watch much broadcast TV (Dont even have DSTV). Just the odd episode of Isidingo.

Anything else I should be looking for?

Okay, now the answer to the first question you are all gonna ask. Budget? I have about R10K but if you guys can convince me that Full HD is the way to go then I dont mind saving a little longer.

Latest posts