Author Topic: "Small" Thor Measurements  (Read 7320 times)

Offline Prince

Re: "Small" Thor Measurements
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 08:53:21 AM »
now you sounds like me..... I can do a lot in a looong time  >:D

-its called forward thinking!!

:ROFLMAO:
"F5 Amp Power + Pedal Power = F5 Pedal Power"

Offline tangmonster

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 09:00:32 AM »

The LR boards will be when I have fiddled an xover with the minidsp, in about 10 years time :)

If you struggle just call. Or swing by. It really is 30 minutes soldering work. But yes ,you need to be 100% of your crossover frequencies.

I can honestly say that the plain linkwitz riley crossovers with no weird or expensive caps or opamps sounds much better than a DCX2496.

Haven't ever heard a minidsp so can't comment on that.

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 09:05:01 AM »
4th order final slopes on the TDFC crossed to two 4.5" driver MTM (the Millenium's slope is a bit easier to cross than the TDFC that low). When crossing to a sub at 100Hz I was positively shocked by the levels possible.

The 27TDFC waveguide was crossed 3rd order passive and didn't compress or complain at levels that were "borderline" for the RS180 beneath. The WG could have gone down lower with a 4th order slope (acoustic LR24 has the lowest crossover potential of all)  but the passive x-o was too involved and with a WG's better power response matching the low X-o isn't needed that much. I am planning another 7" 2-way with RS-180 and some waveguide.....perhaps go for a 1.0 kHz cross just because :-)

The DCX is hard to do proper gain-structure with in most hi-fi setups. If you cannot run +14 dBu in and out, you're loosing out on the capability of the unit drastically. Most hifi preamps do about 0 or +4 dBu, so you're running the unit almost 30dB below it's abilities. If you run it hot enough, it's almost a copy of the BSS unit it's modeled after.

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 09:24:07 AM »
The DCX is hard to do proper gain-structure with in most hi-fi setups. If you cannot run +14 dBu in and out, you're loosing out on the capability of the unit drastically. Most hifi preamps do about 0 or +4 dBu, so you're running the unit almost 30dB below it's abilities. If you run it hot enough, it's almost a copy of the BSS unit it's modeled after.

Mods available place a 6-way volume control after the output of the DCX to enable it to run at full scale.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline tangmonster

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 09:30:19 AM »

Mods available place a 6-way volume control after the output of the DCX to enable it to run at full scale.

That could work! makes sense.

Offline The Godfather

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 09:40:59 AM »
If you struggle just call. Or swing by. It really is 30 minutes soldering work. But yes ,you need to be 100% of your crossover frequencies.

I can honestly say that the plain linkwitz riley crossovers with no weird or expensive caps or opamps sounds much better than a DCX2496.

Haven't ever heard a minidsp so can't comment on that.

Thanks for the offer, but I think you did a fantastic job documenting your project so I should be able to follow along. I am surprised there weren't more takers. I will call on you if I get stuck though.

Setting up the XO is what I think is going to take the time, and finding the time to do it. It has taken me over 6 months since getting all this measurement equipment to put it to use :) Then dips like the 10k which you aren't expecting take up days. Aaarg.

Offline Shonver

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 10:47:17 AM »
Doing an analogue L-R is clever, as doing so in the digital domain can strain the gain structure (~6-20dB boost). I think analogue L-R and the rest digital would work well.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline The Godfather

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 12:48:56 PM »
Interestingly I see the whole response Tilt down towards the HF side, is that the way the x-over was designed?
Something has been unexplained to me in the x-over for some time and I remember somebody making reference to it before.

Why is C4 there? Surely this would cause a downward tapering type response as displayed? I have also noticed that D'appolito's measurements and Seas measurements look slightly different. Seas shows this downward taper, but D'Appolito's does not.

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27&Itemid=40
http://www.audioxcel.com/audioXpress%20Thor%20Review.pdf

Offline DRNB

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 01:42:45 PM »
Something has been unexplained to me in the x-over for some time and I remember somebody making reference to it before.

Why is C4 there? Surely this would cause a downward tapering type response as displayed?

You're right with regard to C4, IMO at least. And its not necessarily a bad thing. I would think that's perhaps part of the voicing of the speakers. I would imagine the speakers to be very detailed in the mid, although somewhat laidback? Kind of like my Charios was  :thinking:
Bass would be deep, extended, even detailed, but not a kick in the chess?

Kind off a speaker one can sit and listen to the whole day? Or am I waaay off?
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." (Russian Proverb)

Offline The Godfather

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 01:51:32 PM »
Lets ask Shaun, he is ruthlessly honest ;D and probably has more experience with comparison.

Room acoustics are a big factor for me and probably overwhelm the character of the speakers.

Offline Shonver

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 04:46:13 PM »
Lets ask Shaun, he is ruthlessly honest ;D and probably has more experience with comparison.

Room acoustics are a big factor for me and probably overwhelm the character of the speakers.

There is a school of thought that believes that a continuously falling response provides the most balanced sound (ask Rodney what he thinks of a flat response!). But I agree that the room response swamps the overall response. A down-sloping response might be the best for a live room. I also think that keeping the response linear makes it least offensive to the ear; whether rising, flat or falling (within reason).

DON'T PANIC
Capie