Author Topic: Things that Dutchmen get up to...  (Read 5164 times)

Offline Steerpike

Things that Dutchmen get up to...
« on: April 14, 2012, 04:46:03 PM »
Following some brief negotiations with Seasick Steve, this Philips which has been on my wanted list for a while, has arrived! I put it next to the Revox B77 to compare sizes. It's a very nice machine, heavier than - but not as sturdy or sold as the Revox. The two went into production at much the same time - 1979. Thank you Steve. The Revox B77 is reputed to be the best selling tape recorders ever, this Philips, one of the rarest, though not as rare as its half-track variant.

It will need some work - at present it won't power up at all, but I suspect a flakey mains switch. Pinch roller & heads in fine condition.

Curiously for all its fancy electronics (real time counter with Zero locate, quartz PLL capstan, servo controlled reel tension) the Philips has mechanical interlocking transport pushbuttons, with no logic circuitry involved at all. Remote control was therefore never an option.

The Revox has an entirely die-cast chassis & headblock, the Philips is sheet steel, albeit thick steel (6mm or so!)

Online Family_Dog

Re: Things that Dutchmen get up to...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 06:54:26 PM »
Both very nice machines!   :thumbs:

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 08:05:53 PM »
Both very nice machines!   :thumbs:

I do so agree!   ^-^  I have a great fondness for audio stuff from continental Europe - it beguiles me far more than most from Japan or the UK.
Now all I need is a Lyrec - hot damn! (Denmark, for those who don't know the brand)

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 01:28:18 AM »
The mains switch definitely faulty; so after jumpering that, I got the Philips to 'wake up' . Motors all turn, solenoids all operate as expected, but 4 of its 5 VFL display digits are dead. I'm hoping it's just bad connections or driver transistors & not the 'brain' IC.

This thing is NOT built to be easily disassembled! Brittle solid-core wiring harnesses, many soldered directly to PCB traces - not pluggable.

No surprises though - that is its reputation - great when it works, fragile & a bitch to repair. Must be female, if tape decks have gender!

Interestingly, its die-cast components are made by Inca - the same brand as the Studer & Revox castings.

Online Family_Dog

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 09:53:14 AM »
Similar to the old 50s-style Philips valve radios, with their boxed-in chassis! Very difficult to work on, but Oh, so nice! when they are working! ;)

I have an old Philips TV, B&W and all valve & turret tuner, lying here and I cannot quite make up my mind what I should do with it. Last time I switched it on (some years ago) it gave a fantastic picture with far better contrasts than the newer B&W Blaupunkts etc that were sold in SA at the time, but the sound IF in Germany is 6MHz whereas ours is 5.5MHz (or other way round?) and one could tune in for picture or sound, but not both. The cabinet is in superb condition. The German couple who brought it into the country then gave it to me and bought a new TV. Being a valve TV, it probably was built late 60s, possibly early 70s.

-F_D

-Eric

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 10:57:46 PM »
but the sound IF in Germany is 6MHz whereas ours is 5.5MHz (or other way round?) and one could tune in for picture or sound, but not both. The cabinet is in superb condition. The German couple who brought it into the country then gave it to me and bought a new TV. Being a valve TV, it probably was built late 60s, possibly early 70s.

Any photographs of it ?
Is it all valves, or just the line output stages (which were the last to go solid state). I think several Philips' had ICs even for signal processing in the early 70s, it was just the HV area where they kept the valves by that time. I don't think anyone ever made a PAL colour decoder with valves.
Our SIF is 6.0MHz (same as UK), but it would be possible to change that, I suspect maybe without even changing components - depending on how much variation the coils will allow.

Online Family_Dog

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 06:57:14 AM »
It's been a while since I opened it, but as far as I remember it was all valve. A TV Techie (not me) had tried adjusting the ferrite slugs but could not get sufficient variation before he chipped the ferrite. Pet hate of mine - there are plastic adjustors available for this sort of thing!

I took these pics a few minutes ago, it is still quite dark in the lounge (06:40) so I worked with the flash. The streaky marks on the side panels are probably light reflections, there are no marks visible on the cabinet.

My aim was out for the turret tuner, couldn't even see it in the view finder. Have no idea what the model number of this TV is, it will be on the back cover but I need to remove the TV for that - another day's work!

-F_D

-Eric

Online Family_Dog

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 06:59:37 AM »
Ugh! - excuse the ugly pile of magazines on the right. A photo brings out all the gaga stuff that the eye otherwise misses :(

-F_D

-Eric

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 02:03:36 PM »
That is a spectacularly pretty TV set! It so outclasses the hideous plastic that now comes out of Korea and China, which are so ugly you'd want to hide them in a cupboard.

Offline frikkie

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 02:45:23 PM »
Sometimes I drink a glass of water... Just to surprise my liver.

Online Family_Dog

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 03:07:22 PM »
Heh... just worked out what those "white flashes" on the polished wooden side panel of the TV are... look carefully, it is the reflection of the pile of magazines so ungraciously lying on top of a Sansui AU-555 amp! ;)

Aargh! Gotta do summit about that !

-F_D

-Eric

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 05:39:47 PM »
After a new power switch, and a circuit fudge in the counter (counter IC was half dead; its segment strobe oscillator had died, so I piggybacked a 7555 onto its clock pin) the Philips N4520 is working nicely. What I thought was a real-time counter actually counts off tape in metres! (quite unusual).

I don't think this model was ever marketed in SA, and it would be interesting to know how many made it over here. The interweb suggests only a couple of thousand were ever made.

Until I take photographs, here are someone else pictures of its guts, for those interested.
http://www.makarateyp.com/MG/N4520/philipsN4520.htm

Offline Steve Strange

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 05:51:49 PM »
My man

After listening to Witblitz's Revox i am sure you will bring the Phillips back to its absolute glory

I must say i was blown away by the sound of the Reel to Reel - methinks the next reel to reel i find - i will keep

I will get that manual off to you tomorrow - slacker i am
Port Elizabeth

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 06:07:54 PM »
After listening to Witblitz's Revox i am sure you will bring the Phillips back to its absolute glory
I must say i was blown away by the sound of the Reel to Reel - methinks the next reel to reel i find - i will keep
I will get that manual off to you tomorrow - slacker i am

Thanks re: manual., but no hurry for it. Operation is very straightforward. If you ever speak to the original owner, I'm keen to hear the story, where he bought it, what amp & speakers he had to go with it, etc.

So far I've been listening to the previous owners tapes - recorded at 3&3/4 IPS, some are impressive, even at the slow speed. I think when I do some recordings at 15 IPS on it, this machine will sound quite spectacular.
I hope it needs only very few tweaks - it's not the technical aspects that daunts, but G-O-D this thing is heavy and difficult to manoevre onto the workbench!