What its like to spend four weeks with nothing to do

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u235

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just completed a sail from Saldanha to Fortaleza in Brazil via St Helena, something I've always wanted to do. The yacht was a 40ft catamaran with six people on board. I shared the little V-berth at the front of one hull with another guy - talk about getting bashed around by the sea! Then I discovered I couldn't read without getting motion-sickness. Imagine spending four weeks in or on a caravan with six other people, and absolutely f-all to do. No TV, nothing to read, nowhere to go! Fortunately after I week I persuaded them to stop playing Diana Krall on the ALtec Lansing boom box (a surprisingly good piece of kit) and that helped me to survive, otherwise I'd probably have dived overboard. :p The 50th iteration of Buddha Bar has kind of put me off it as well.

Loved St Helena and Fortaleza, but apart from two or three moments (one involving a ship) the sailing was a dead bore. The good thing is I now have 4500 sea miles, so I can get a good skippers ticket, and take my family for bare-boat charters. Med, Adriatic, Seychelles, Madagascar, here I come!

Nice to be back and see the forum going strong - lots of new members!

Latest posts