Help with 7.1/bi-amping/presence speakers

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willi

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hello

I'm new to this forum, partly because I've never really had any equipment to write home about. I used to have a Yahama RX-V359 AV receiver and my girlfriend gave me a fantastic Yamaha RX-V861 AV Receiver as a birthday present. The equipment that I use is as follows:

Yamaha RX-V861 AV Receiver
Pioneer DV-344 DVD Player (audio via digital coax)
Phillips DVP 642K DVD/DivX Player (audio via optical)
Loewe Calida Television
Ultralink Challenger 1412 speaker cable (front main only)
Tannoy Fusion 3 Front Main Speakers
Tannoy Fusion C Center Speaker
Tannoy Fusion R Surround Speakers
Tannoy EFX Subwoofer

The reason for the two DVD players is that I find the quality of the Pioneer, when playing DVD's, is far superior to the Phillips. I bought and added the Phillips to my system because the Pioneer does not play anything but DVD's and audio CD's. The Phillips plays mp3, DivX, and nearly ever other video format you could point a stick at.

I only use 5.1 speakers on there at the moment, but will get a further two Tannoy Fusion R's for the additional surround speakers. This leaves me with two more channels (zone 2) to either bi-amplify the front speakers, or get a third set of Fusion R's for presence speakers for the front. Obviously, if I spent most of the time listening to stereo music, the choice would naturally be to bi-amp the front speakers, but as I spend most of the time watching DVD's on the system, I would like to optimise the system for home theater.

Would the presence speakers make such a difference in my setup, considering that most discs are encoded with either Dolby Digital or DTS (as I understand it, both 5.1, so even the money spent on more surround speakers would not really matter - please comment on this too), or would it be better to bi-amp the front speakers, even if used mostly for home theater use? I've read that Yamaha's processing is really all that when it comes to their ability to create amazing theater-like sound at home.

Any other suggestions or comments on the system? I am completely new to the 7.1 setup and would appreciate as much input and advice as you could give. I also has a Benq projector which I need to install to the ceiling, and would appreciate tips and advice to do this.

Willi Badenhorst

Latest posts