kidNAP the Frankenamp

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atjan

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been busy building a kidNAP for a few weeks now. Up to now its not been very exciting as I've mostly been gathering parts and soldering into the night. Its been a great learning curve though.

It got pretty exiting yesterday morning though when I, for the first time, hooked the PSU and amp board up (via my 'poor man's variac-thanks Heinrich!) and played music via my cellphone! Big smile and no smoke! I subsequently tested the other amp board as well and played it for well over an hour pretty loudly. At the end the big transistors was still under room temp. The little ZTX transistors was pretty hot though. But they were that straight from start up. Transformer was just about 'luke' warm. So, in my book, Great Success! :)
Here's the story. I've been plotting to build one since Rudi put the project up. Since I've slowly been gathering the parts I need and planning the end product. It was a bit difficult in the beginning as I was still finishing my ZRTs and the SO was very negative regards to my audio diy. I get her point, but the force is strong....

The VISION :)
A kidNAP (Avondale NCC200 derivitive as modified by Rudi)

Full dual mono with twin 300VA toroidal transformers.
BUV20 transistors
Lekker big VU meters with soft yellow light glow, set in a wooden faceplace, ala VA 'specials'.
This will later on be fed from one of Rudi's SRPP+ pre amps. (@Rudi: you mentioned something sometime ago about changes to the board...perhaps we  should chat ;) )
For now however, the Maverick TubeMagic D1 will do duty as both pre and DAC. (I knew I'd be able to use all its functions properly one day! )

Bits borrowed, begged and stolen.

Budget being what it is, I set out to get a working example going with say 90% of the performance and looks. The rest to follow as time and money allows. How to do? Get bits that will do the job from wherever. ;)

1. 'Essentials' packet of components from Rudi.
2. "Donor'' amp from LAV for transformer and heatsinks.
3. Old unused TEAC FM receiver for its sturdy cabinet and random bits.
3. Most components bought from Mantech over a 3 month period.
4. Random bits and pieces from RSE Electronics, which is down the road from Mantech.

Frankenamp Rev 1

This guy is almost complete (pics to follow) and will have 2 amp boards (duh!), 2power supplies with 4x10kuF 63V Rubycon caps, 1x 250VA 33-0-33 'regular' transformer (what a beast!-must weigh >5kg). Main transistors at the moment is MJ15003's.
No VU meters, but walnut faceplate. Later to be laser ingraved.