Advice re Upgrade of System

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpy

AVForums Member
Reaction score
As a new member to the SA avforums.co.za (I was getting tired of the Yanks and Souties websites), I'd appreciate some advice from the members.

I have recently upgraded to a LCD projector and blu-ray player and now wish to do the same with my AV reciever.  Question is, which AV receiver is the best value for money.  I considered the Panny Blu-ray one, but the 70W per channel puts me off.  I looked at the Onkyo 705, but that is a bit pricey and then I discovered the Sony STR DG910 going at a great price of R4000(approx). The Yammie I currently have is ok but lacks oemph and HDMI/component jacks.  Do you reckon the DG910 will be a good match or is there a receiver for about the same price you'd recommend?

My speakers have never been upgraded since I got my first system so many of you will chuckle at them.  Once I have upgraded my AV receiver I plan to move my rear speakers to the middle (7.1), my mains to the rear and buy new main speakers.  The B&W 305 I have somehow seems to "lose it" and does not pack the punch.  Which speakers (floor) would you suggest I consider as main replacements -not costing me an arm and a leg, say R4000 for both?

If room size matters (all sizes matter!), currently it's about 4mx5m but I intend to end up with a room size of 6x6.

My equipment list is
Panasonic PT-AE-900E LCD Projector
Panasonic DMP-BD10A Blu-ray Player
Pioneer DV533 DVD Player (for my Zone 1 dvds)
Yamaha RX-V530 AV Receiver
Yamaha YST-SW160 Sub
B&W DM 305 Main Speakers
Wharfdale Valdus Centre
Wharfdale Valdus 200 (rear speakers)
Optoview 3mx1.8m Screen

Thx