Advice about import of Elekit TU-879s tube amp

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kemosabe

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I'd appreciate tapping into your collective wisdom before I make a mistake I regret!!
On the advice of Tachyon from the forum I have investigated some avenues of getting into valve amps at reasonable cost.
Firstly I would like to buy a DIY kit. Secondly I dont want something extremely basic that I'll find unsatisfying.
I have almost completely settled on buying an elekit tu-879s. Good 6-moons review and other reviews too.
Seems to be available from US from two avenues - VK music and Tube Depot. However Tube Depot seems to have skr%wed Mr Kung from VK music (who translated all the Japanese build instructions) so morally would be nice to support VK if possible.
Onto the problems & questions:
1. Anyone had experience with this design? Reason not to purchase...?
2. Something seriously better I could consider at similar cost ($600)?
3. Any positive or negative experience with either of these outlets?
4. Tube depot will supply a 230v power transformer whereas I would have to contact VK and ask what he could offer. The standard kit and review is based on the Japanese transformer. I have concern that changing transformers to some random transformer (I have no evidence they would be so careless to spec a completely "random" transformer) would adversely affect performance. Comments?
5. I've read the importing thread. I'm slightly hesitant to pay up front and just wait patiently for something which may never arrive. But it looks fun and I'm mentally almost ready for the risk!
6. What's the import duty on electronic goods? I've got no idea.
Any useful comments gratefully received.

(Before you warn me about the speakers I will need for an 8w amp dont worry I have it covered.)