Author Topic: Who can design and/or build a quality valve amplifier?  (Read 4029 times)

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
Re: Who can design and/or build a quality valve amplifier?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 11:55:19 PM »
Just tag on a valve preamp ahead of it...

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline uncle sam

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 12:01:39 AM »
Ja, I know that seems to be the only option dude, but I really wanted valve amps though as I'm in the market for new amps, a pre-amp for my car is useless to me at the moment. Thanks for the wise words though fella's, looks like my pie-in-the-sky thoughts are destined to remain there!  :'(
Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence. ~Robert Fripp

No society where eccentricity is a matter of reproach can be a wholesome state. ~John Mill

Offline oradba69

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 12:32:51 PM »
Who was the guy that installed B&W monitor speakers in his 540 in the 80's (zimmerman?) didn't he use valve amps?
Manufacturer of Audio Video furniture.
http://www.lerange.com

Offline uncle sam

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 12:47:56 PM »
Who was the guy that installed B&W monitor speakers in his 540 in the 80's (zimmerman?) didn't he use valve amps?

hahahaha, ja, that was Earl Zimmerman, his BM was an absolute ledgend, he used Milbert BAM valve amplifiers, they were absolute beasts and were purpose built car audio amplifiers, I think he had 6 of them in his car if I'm not mistaken. My idea was to get something built of better quality at a cheaper price. I had a chat with Ampdog (who is a genius by the way), and it looks like my idea is economically unrealistic, I'm looking at a minimum of around R80k to do what I want... but it CAN be done  ;D  I still have a few years of income earning potential left in me... who knows, maybe one day I'll do it.   :o

No society where eccentricity is a matter of reproach can be a wholesome state. ~John Mill

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 01:17:01 PM »
Why not borrow some regular valve amps one weekend, rig it up in your driveway (running from mains power), and see if the valve idea is all it's cracked up to be?

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline uncle sam

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 01:25:38 PM »
Why not borrow some regular valve amps one weekend, rig it up in your driveway (running from mains power), and see if the valve idea is all it's cracked up to be?

To simply answer your question; cos I was too doff to think of that in the first place  :P  Ahhhh forums are just such wonderful things! Thanks dude, will give it a try.

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 02:31:11 AM »
I refuse to believe this is even vaguely worthwhile. The ineffiecencies of the valves, and the noisy switch mode supply you need will make the thing at best sound curiously different - at worst it will set the car alight.

Och! Did not notice this thread until recently.

Jamster,
Switch-mode not that much worse than for the hi-power car semi-conductor amps - they also use s-m. Remember that one will at least connect the heaters directly to 12V. I am not suggesting it is an option.... although I would like to have one in there just to have it on at night with them glowing valves visible to the outside world! Semi-conductor amps are so ....invisible!
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)