Author Topic: Who can design and/or build a quality valve amplifier?  (Read 4028 times)

Offline uncle sam

Who can design and/or build a quality valve amplifier?
« on: May 03, 2008, 08:27:37 PM »
Hey guys, I'm looking for someone who can design and/or build a high quaility 100% valve (not hybrid) power amplifier, with high quaility components. The amplifier needs to deliver 50-100 pure clean watts per channel, and be bridgeable with independent gain controls per channel. The designer and builder doesn't need to be the same person, and looks are at the bottom of my list of priorities. There is a catch though...... a big catch....

... it needs to run off 12v DC!

I'm sure somebody must be up for the challange! Of course I will be happy to pay for the services of the designer and builder.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 08:35:57 PM by uncle sam »
Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence. ~Robert Fripp

No society where eccentricity is a matter of reproach can be a wholesome state. ~John Mill

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
Re: Who can design and/or build a quality valve amplifier?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 09:21:45 PM »
Ampdog's your man. The 100W he's done. Dunno about the switch-mode PSU that'll be needed, though.

What do you mean it has to be bridgeable? Why this requirement?

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline uncle sam

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 09:29:14 PM »
Thanks, I'll shoot him a mail. I know this might sound strange, but wanna stick two of them in my car, I actually only need 7 channels, I'm running 3-way active setup plus a sub, so I wanted to bridge the sub over the 2 spare channels if you know what I mean i.e. I want to give my tweeters, midranges, and midbasses 100w each and then give sub the bridged sum of the remaining 2 channels. I'm a BIG believer in headroom!  ;D

No society where eccentricity is a matter of reproach can be a wholesome state. ~John Mill

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 10:42:57 AM »
That is just mad...
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline uncle sam

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 12:12:42 PM »
That is just mad...

hahahaha, the results will be worth it!  ;D

Offline The Godfather

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 04:15:02 PM »
hahahaha, the results will be worth it!  ;D

Reminds me of Mad Gerald in the Black Adder Episode.

http://blackadder.powertie.org/transcripts/1/6/

Search for Mad Gerald. I think you will agree. ;D

Offline uncle sam

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 04:30:18 PM »
Reminds me of Mad Gerald in the Black Adder Episode.

http://blackadder.powertie.org/transcripts/1/6/

Search for Mad Gerald. I think you will agree. ;D

ROLF... gotta love Mad Gerald!!!  :D

jamster

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 06:10:10 PM »
I refuse to believe this is even vaguely worthwhile. The ineffiecencies of the valves, and the noisy switch mode supply you need will make the thing at best sound curiously different - at worst it will set the car alight.

Offline uncle sam

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 07:46:14 PM »
I refuse to believe this is even vaguely worthwhile. The ineffiecencies of the valves, and the noisy switch mode supply you need will make the thing at best sound curiously different - at worst it will set the car alight.

Hey Mr Jammy, I'm no electronic guru, but I kinda hear what you're saying. I'm still to hear back from Johan and see what he says, if it can't be done properly, I won't do it at all. But I know of at least one company has done this correctly before:

http://www.hssfidelity.it/english/Main_page.html

check out the amplifier at the top of the page, that is one of the most sought after car amplifiers in the world! It's pure valve, pure class A.

jamster

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 07:59:16 PM »
Hey Mr Jammy, I'm no electronic guru, but I kinda hear what you're saying. I'm still to hear back from Johan and see what he says, if it can't be done properly, I won't do it at all. But I know of at least one company has done this correctly before:

http://www.hssfidelity.it/english/Main_page.html

check out the amplifier at the top of the page, that is one of the most sought after car amplifiers in the world! It's pure valve, pure class A.

It's also 30 wpc, and probably shite, but I bet it looks pretty.

I am sure it can be done, I just don't think it has merit. A decent preamp stage perhaps as a line driver - but a power amplifier - bah.

Go and do something constructive and get your system working. Have you built a preamp yet?

S

Offline uncle sam

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 08:07:34 PM »
Ok, I honestly can't argue with you as I've never personally heard the amp, and I don't know many people who can afford the $7500US to buy one. But according to reviews, it is the beez-neez.  ;D

As to the home system, there are a few little delays, the dude repairing the Steinharts has encountered a little glitch and should hopefully have it sorted by next week. And as for the pre-amp, Rudi is on holiday, and will chat to me when he gets back next week.

But dude, you know my true passion is hi-fidelity car audio!  ;)

Offline oradba69

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 06:37:53 AM »
Kinda agree with Sean, Valve pre amp with class-d power amps seems more do-able and interesting.
Manufacturer of Audio Video furniture.
http://www.lerange.com

Offline uncle sam

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 07:15:21 AM »
Kinda agree with Sean, Valve pre amp with class-d power amps seems more do-able and interesting.

I do hear what you're saying, and I know to pull something like this off is no walk in the park, the car audio companies that have done it have spent hundreds of thousands of Dollars on research to get something decent.

I have no experience with class-D home amplifiers, but I do have quite a bit of experience with class-D car amplifiers, and in my experience they sound aweful when trying to power any semi-decent speaker. In an effort to try and be efficient, audio quaility flys out the window, the ony route I would go would be class-A or A/B. 

Offline Hennie

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 10:00:47 PM »
Flying Mole is also available in a 12V model as far as I know. That would not be too bad for top end car audio?

Offline uncle sam

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 10:22:29 PM »
Flying Mole is also available in a 12V model as far as I know. That would not be too bad for top end car audio?

Thanks for the suggestion dude, I just had a look at them now. They do make a 12v DC version of their power amplifiers, but not quite what I'm looking for though.