Author Topic: Cables for Sennheiser HD 600/650  (Read 1478 times)

Offline AlleyCat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Cables for Sennheiser HD 600/650
« on: January 23, 2012, 04:37:28 PM »
Has anybody considered making their own home-brewed cables for the Sennheiser 600/650? Thinking along the lines of JimGores interconnects and the likes.....
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline MxT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Old school is the only school
Re: Cables for Sennheiser HD 600/650
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 01:31:46 PM »
I have. Used Mogami microphone cable, furutech plug and Cardas makes heaphone connectors. Is worth it on the 600 the 650 comes with a decentish cable out the box and if you want to improve on that you will need to look at the Cardas headpone cable-its pricey thou and the cost/improvement ratio will be marginal
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.

Offline AlleyCat

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 11:01:01 PM »
Thanks for the reply MxT, appreciated. Could you please advise where I could purchase the Mogami and connector from(an idea on the price will also help). Thanks.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 11:45:56 PM »
I keep the Cardas connectors and obviously the full cable too.

FWIW, the Cardas Headphone cable in AB comparisons leaves the 650 cable far behind.
Be careful with cable choice in the physical/mechanical sense. Mogami mic is fine but beware of stiff cables with lots of sleeves and braids for eg. All the mechanical noise picked up by the cable rubbing against you and things while you move,  gets transmitted to the ear capsules. The stiffer the cable and the rougher its surface, the worse the problem gets.
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline AlleyCat

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 09:29:02 AM »
Thanks Hi-Phibian

Could you please PM me the costs of both. Also, if you can confirm : can the normal cable for the 650 be used on the 600? Thanks.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 09:35:32 AM »
Yes, 600 and 650 cable are interchangeable.
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za