A new lease on life for an old Revox G36

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

witblits

AVForums Member
Reaction score
So I got my Revox G36 back from Steerpike after a major clean-up and repair and was prompted to write a little about it.
I am not going to go into any technical detail except to quote the following from http://www.reeltoreel.de/worldwide/G36.htm ?The REVOX 736 (G36) is a mono/stereo machine with stacked erase heads, separate recording heads separate replay heads, six audio pre-amplifiers. and a push/pull power amplifier. Tape speeds of 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 .i. p. s. are obtained by pole-changing the synchronous Papst capstan motor. Twin-track and four-track models are available, both fully stereo phonic, recording to the latest C.C.I.R. (DIN 45113) characteristic.?

This unit was found in an old building in JHB and was covered in pigeon droppings and years of dust.  The building use to belong to Gallo recordings and was used as a recording studio in the 40?s. Steerpike has given it a new lease on life and I must say it sounds amazing. It has a clear but not harsh and slight warm sound. I find it difficult to choose between this RTR and the rest of my collection.

It is original except for a missing cover below the head block, a counter unit and a lid for the case. I am running it through a Rotel pre and power combo and a set of Focal JM Labs Chorus 714 S speakers.

The rest of my RTR?s are a Revox (B77) and a newer Tascam br 20 from EMI.

Thanks again Steerpike maybe you can add a little bit on the restoration work.
scaled.php

Latest posts