Hi There

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lourens

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi there guys
This is my first post, as you can see....lol. First of let me say i'm so happy to eventually find this site....i always knew there had to be someone in SA that shared the same interest as me.

I've only recently became interested in the world of better that average audio systems, and already the bug has bitten me big time....so hope you are prepared to answer a lot of noob questions.

My current system consists of a Yamaha RX-V550 HT amp. And 2 sets of Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS-1 and a Polk SW-12. I know this is peanuts compared to the stuff you guys have, but it's a start, and I think somewhat better than your average chain store boombox.

My question is : the sub is bugging me, at highish volumes I can hear a lot of port noise. Is there any way to fix or better this with the same enclosure ? If I decide to take a leap and start a project, will a car amp work as amplification ? What size 220/12v transformer would i need to power said amp ? Is it worth the trouble ?

I'm also intrigued by the SEAS Thor kit....will my amp have enough power to do them justice, or should i look at something else ?

I've got a broad range of music I'm listening to, anything from classic, rock, pop, dance, female vocal etc. HT use is also high on my priority list.

You guys got any thoughts on this.

Cheers
Lourens

Latest posts