Good value ceiling speakers and installation amplifiers

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber_MG

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been asked to give advice and perhaps eventually install a multi-room system and have been looking at some ceiling speakers. Can anyone recommend decent sounding ceiling speakers that don't cost the earth? Preferably ones that are not perpendicular to the ceiling (and no, that does not mean merely the ability to angle the tweeter)

I have found some B&W and KEF (motorized even) models that would do the job but for that kinda money I feel tempted to do something myself (fibre glass shop and some nice 8" co-axial pro drivers or similar)

Some rooms are not as critical and would probably work well with normal ceiling speakers and something in the <R1k5 per pair price bracket would be nice.

Then there is also the question of the cost of the amplifiers. A small installation amplifier by Boston Acoustics retails for R2k5 for which one can get a Behringer A500. Does anyone know of more cost-effective solutions (a cheap stereo receiver anyone?) Been looking at the T-Amp and been tinkering with the idea of a Line - Level passive crossover.

Thanks

Martin