Author Topic: Watch out for con artists!!!  (Read 307058 times)

Offline PAPPA3

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+83)
  • Nakamichi Banana Plugs In Stock
Re: Watch out for con artists!!!
« Reply #870 on: October 17, 2017, 10:14:03 AM »
The rule of the game is never to trust anyone irrespective.
Trust no one. Bottom line.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This isn't really necessary.  You can trust people.  But just keep clear guidelines in place, such as money must clear and be withdrawn before goods are released.  SMS and EFT notification doesn't constitute payment.  No good released before. On gomboom I always say, 'No EFTS.  Cash only.  No deliveries.  Collection only.  No con artists - I know all the scams'.  This usually sorts the fellows out.  But some skelms still troll AVSA and you get the occassional oddball on forum.  I have been to people's homes and done a EFT which has gone off from my account - but hasn't cleared in theirs and it's immediate clearance.  Then I sit with egg on my face.  This happened to me on 4 occasions and makes me look like a conman! Buyers have had the same situation.  But the problem is the bank's systems.  One buyer recently came to buy then realised he was going to have a problem doing a EFT from his phone.  then he had to go and get cash.  It all looked shady but he was genuinely having a problem.  He returned in 20 minutes with the cash.  The lesson - not everyone is a con artists, so we can give each other a break from time to time.  Complications happen - regularly.

Getting conned should never be blamed on the person being conned.  However people can be naive and they become easier targets.  Stay informed and know how these conmen operate.  Apart from them, there are a lot of people who can be trusted actually.

Offline Akinjak

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #871 on: October 17, 2017, 10:33:49 AM »
You can have a high degree of suspicion but a deal is a deal once is closed and money confirmed.
To say because somebody is from a particular race, tribe or country then he’s a fraud is at the least myopic and bigot.
Some of the guys in this forum have made great sales across the racial, tribal or creed lines. And they are glad they did.
PAPPA3 is a well regarded veteran of this forum and many other forums.
I will take his advice seriously.
If you base your trade on certain racial lines, you are only limiting your potential revenue streams but that’s your choice.

Online BobsYourUncle

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #872 on: October 17, 2017, 10:36:09 AM »
It really doesn’t matter where the person comes from. The rule of the game is never to trust anyone irrespective.
The guy that swindled me of R6750 is an Afrikaner that lives in Roodepoort! I found out that I was not the only victim. He also swindled his kinds too.

Warning signs when selling for me are / People I don't deal with

- When they announce their religious beliefs while discussing the deal
- When they want to pay via eft
- when they want to meet on x day but want my address as in right now
- ask me to deliver
- call me ,"bra,bruh etc"
- transport issues
- use different phone numbers
- send someone else on their behalf ( within reason)
- gut feeling tells me something is off
- guys who repeatedly reply to my ads and haggle me are not dodge, just an irritation that get ignored ,they are obviously in the buy/sell game and one gets tired of dealing with them. The one guy haggled me on a pair of speakers and tried to haggle me again on an amp afterwards to which I didn't budge. I then had a pair of Wharfedale speakers going for a ridiculously low price to move them for space and he whatsapped me. I ignored him besides the fact that he messaged me daily. He then eventually asked why I wasn't responding to him , I just replied ( after they had been sold) , "sold". Never heard from him again after that.

I'm starting to find it better to use Facebook buy/sell groups now and barely check Gumtree these days. Places like cc pay nothing but also take so much hassle away which almost makes it worth it in some cases.

Kempton Park, Estrand,GP

Offline El Sid

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #873 on: October 17, 2017, 11:26:28 AM »
Warning signs when selling for me are / People I don't deal with

- When they want to pay via eft

Well that would be me....

I think wanting to pay by EFT isn't unreasonable. When I pay by eft I send the proof of payment from FNB which allows the beneficiary to go onto the website and verify the transaction. But I do admit that I don't know how much comfort a recipient can take from that?

Offline Ju_dy@RT

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+26)
    • Remedytec
« Reply #874 on: October 17, 2017, 12:37:40 PM »
It really doesn’t matter where the person comes from. The rule of the game is never to trust anyone irrespective.
The guy that swindled me of R6750 is an Afrikaner that lives in Roodepoort! I found out that I was not the only victim. He also swindled his kinds too.

similar here...  Although we've had a few suspect enquiries ito orders which we usually spot straight away (It's usually in the name of a company's so it's pretty easy to avoid.  All you do is reply with a request to provide a comprehensive list of details - alternative number; alternative contact; reg number; vat number etc - and they disappear instantly) , we've only had ONE instance where we experienced a SUCCESSFUL con first hand and it was at the hands of a very Afrikaans  "gentleman" (see: https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,1317.msg561068.html#msg561068). Luckily, we were not the actual victim. 

The most notorious questionable (and wife) in the last few years on the forum was certainly not Nigerian .. They come in ALL SHAPES AND SIZES...

Offline Rodney_gold

• R.I.P. 5 June 2018
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #875 on: October 17, 2017, 03:34:39 PM »
Nigeria is known for scams..why take the risk ?
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+111)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #876 on: October 17, 2017, 06:46:41 PM »
Fellow advertised a gas braai and cast aluminium outdoor table and 8 chairs for R6000.  His advert stated "cash only". Went to look at it in Tokai (15 mins drive) and told him I would buy it, but I don't handle such large amounts of cash, I could do an EFT and when he was happy the transfer had cleared, would call to collect.  This was on a Sunday.  He calls me on Wed, says he is happy money is in account, I could call on Friday. Borrowed friends van and went to house.  Strange lady answers the door, so I say I have come to collect braai and furniture. 

She starts shouting and carrying on.  This fellow is her soon to be divorced husband and the goods are not his to sell. With that she slams the door shut

It took 3 weeks to get hold of him, he is ducking and diving.  Eventually, he refunded me, plus R200 for the messing about.  By then I had reported him to Gumtree as a delinquent seller
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Online BobsYourUncle

• AVForums Grandmaster
BulletGP s back
« Reply #877 on: January 24, 2018, 05:22:21 PM »
BulletGP out from hiding ,whether this seller is about to lose money by shipping an item that's not paid for/nor will be , who knows. hope the seller has enough common sense to not ship before paid

Hifi Market Place South Africa Facebook page
The for sale item
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1637201309836565/

Facebook profile
https://www.facebook.com/francois.villiers.FEB?fref=gc&dti=1637201309836565

Francois De Villiers  If postage/shipping was an option then I'd take them

Facebook user: Francois De Villiers are you not the same Bullet GP ?

Facebook user:  The same guy from the Avforum ?

Facebook Seller:  Hi Francois De Villiers!!
Postage/shipping can be arranged, but it's gonna be a big box with the stands...

Facebook user:  Francois De Villiers is this not Bullet GP from the AVforum?

Francois De Villiers  Hey yes it is bud. How are you doing man? I understand that the stands will make things a little complex. Such a great price though. Would shipping be more than R500?

Facebook Seller:  I'll take a small gamble on this Buddy... If you pay the first R500 I'll pay the difference if it's more!!!
Let's PM further👍!!!

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 05:31:38 PM by BobsYourUncle »
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #878 on: January 25, 2018, 01:51:26 AM »
^^ BulletGP must've been before my time, as the nick means nothing to me. I've also noticed that the seller purchases items off this forum & then resells on that group at a healthy markup.

As always, buyer beware! Seller too!
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #879 on: January 25, 2018, 07:16:09 AM »
I'm been Following this post on Fb. Someone ask him if this wasn't the set that was up for sale on the forum. Seems to me someone drop some info on the post about this other person.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 07:22:03 AM by Gerlach »
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Online BobsYourUncle

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #880 on: January 25, 2018, 07:57:05 AM »
I'm been Following this post on Fb. Someone ask him if this wasn't the set that was up for sale on the forum. Seems to me someone drop some info on the post about this other person.

My post was to highlight that Bullet GP is surfaced again , he is the prospective buyer here. Not sure how many people he owes money to , but here is how to find him. He is buying so he must have the cash to pay people back who he owes money.
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #881 on: January 25, 2018, 08:05:09 AM »
My post was to highlight that Bullet GP is surfaced again , he is the prospective buyer here. Not sure how many people he owes money to , but here is how to find him. He is buying so he must have the cash to pay people back who he owes money.

Shot, thanks, I picked that up. Hope they inform the FB admin to.
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline Ju_dy@RT

• Commercial Member
    • Remedytec
« Reply #882 on: January 25, 2018, 08:10:54 AM »
^^ BulletGP must've been before my time, as the nick means nothing to me. I've also noticed that the seller purchases items off this forum & then resells on that group at a healthy markup.

As always, buyer beware! Seller too!

Oh no... It was SO MUCH MORE than that! He may owe people money, but the pinnacle was when MRS BULLETGP made us believe she was collecting electronic and were donated electronic goods and cash for a “cancer charity” which.... well ... did not as far as any mortal could establish, reach any ‘little ones’.
(Disclaimer: the offer is still open for him/her to prove us wrong... and as stated before, I honestly wished she did)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 08:16:15 AM by Ju_dy@RT »

Offline Ju_dy@RT

• Commercial Member
    • Remedytec

Offline tmavf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #884 on: January 25, 2018, 09:32:54 AM »
BulletGP sounds a lot like Frank from the TV series Shameless (US)  :puke: