Author Topic: Watch out for con artists!!!  (Read 302176 times)

Offline Andrew

• FLBP Aficionado
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Watch out for con artists!!!
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 03:28:10 PM »
We have had four complaints on the AVSA site about this chappie:

Comments :  Warning: There's a guy by the name of Yusuf Bhamjee who might claim to be interested in the "Classifieds section". He sends a bogus "notice of payment "sms as if it from a bank and then asks you for the home address. Please inform the sellers of this guy.
Don't judge me for being quiet - no one plans a murder aloud.

Offline zeabre

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Airmusic
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 03:55:07 PM »
+1 for Yusuf. Have his (real/used) cellphone number if this is to be taken further?

Offline zeabre

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Airmusic
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 04:22:12 PM »

Offline Kevin99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 06:17:50 PM »
oh im not the one who did email you, we need the hifi system cant you drop it off to my family in Eastgate jhb once i have done to send the money into your account via internet banking.
Jodan Mason
<jodanmason@yahoo.com>

Never ever trust any free mail account.

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 10:14:59 PM »
Never ever trust any free mail account.

Then I'm stuffed as I use GMail as my only mail address. I think it helps me though that that I'm capable of stringing a legible sentence together, unlike the fellow quoted above.
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline frikkie

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 10:29:20 PM »
Then I'm stuffed as I use GMail as my only mail address. I think it helps me though that that I'm capable of stringing a legible sentence together, unlike the fellow quoted above.

+1.

All my private stuff goes to Gmail. My work e-mail is for work only.
Sometimes I drink a glass of water... Just to surprise my liver.

Offline RS4

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+17)
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2010, 12:48:31 AM »
I also got a SMS from Yusuf regarding a projector I advertised a few weeks ago.
I called him to make sure that he was aware that he could not collect until payment has cleared. The guy vanished into thin air.
Optoma
Cyrus, Dynaudio, Anthem, JL Audio!

:oppo: ?

Offline dotVIBE

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010, 11:28:58 AM »
+1.

All my private stuff goes to Gmail. My work e-mail is for work only.

me too. My laptop got stolen once, and from there i only use gmail. nice to have everything in one place and safely online.
Town of the Cape

Offline windshear

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2010, 06:35:25 PM »
I got an sms from yusuf today , urgently needing what im selling. Not the first time though.

egd

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2010, 01:51:08 PM »
I got an sms from yusuf today , urgently needing what im selling. Not the first time though.
Why not set him up, arrange to meet him somewhere other than your place, take a few friends with and beat the living sh1t out of him?

Offline PAPPA3

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • Nakamichi Banana Plugs In Stock
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2010, 04:33:51 PM »
Watch out for Yusuf Bhamjee - [ybhamjee@live.co.za].  His sms "confirmation number" is +278332600629001. One number for Yusuf is 0725654481.

Others who've details I've collected, since I trade stuff, and come across these characters often,  are:

Alex Matthews (also goes by Paul Khoza) 084 082 6941 and 076 229 9611.  He works with a guy by the name of Isaac.  His "proof of payment" sms number is +278332600629000 (notice how similar this is to Yusuf Bhamjee's?  He wants you to deliver 130 Kingsgate, corner Louis Botha Avenue & Bedford, Bellevue, upper Houghton, or in the Houghton area, or to Eastgate.  He was so sharp, he had proof of payment printed before he even supposedly deposited the money LOL. I caught him once.  Told him I'd deliver at 10pm at night, and left him waiting - serves him right.

Another one.  Supposedly always buys for his grandson, or asks you to deliver to his grandson is a guy who goes by the name of Ray, and supposedly lives in Tzaneen.  Gives the delivery address as Observatory.  So he "has to" do an EFT.  He goes by the name of Ray Mcloed, and uses this number, among others: 0784692317.  uses the e-mail mcloed@ymail.com

As you can see, I've become wise to these con artists.  You've got to love them for trying to con you out of something, while forgetting they tried you in the past!

Offline RS4

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+17)
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2010, 04:18:57 PM »
I seem to think Alex Mathews or Paul Khoza have changed their number. I received a sms to deliver to upper Houghton, as soon as I mentioned "I'll confirm proof of payment with my bank" the line went dead!
Optoma
Cyrus, Dynaudio, Anthem, JL Audio!

:oppo: ?

Offline creyneke

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2010, 06:03:01 PM »
I think "Paul's" new number is 072-367-8445. Got this sms from him "I'm interested in buying your amplifier. If its still available call me for arrangements. Paul" Called him and told him that I would need confirmation from my bank before he could pick up the amp. Line went dead!

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2010, 06:33:24 PM »
Guys,

Please be so kind as to indcate where your goods were advertised to help us avoid these in future.

Come to think of it, us trying to avoid these guys is so typical South African. Why has none of us made an effort to report it to the cops yet? A sting of some sort perharps? Maybe I'm just being naive.
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2010, 07:13:15 PM »
fully agree with Gert. we should. anyone know a body in the police who would take this seriously?
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za