Author Topic: SMF 2 forum software upgrade / new look  (Read 16015 times)

Offline alternativeroute

Re: New Look...
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2011, 02:39:35 PM »
Amazing. Funnily enough, the spammer registrations spiked with 400% in June and have since doubled again after that. If I didn't know any better, I could swear that we've been targeted for some reason. It's either that, or the Captcha we were using at the time was defeated.

I also have a huge problem with spam... Captcha has also been defeated a few times...

I now use a IP blocker on my site that calls one of the projects out there (think its project honeypot). Works wonders.

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline kay

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Computer geek
    • My Blog
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2011, 03:38:39 PM »
Amazing. Funnily enough, the spammer registrations spiked with 400% in June and have since doubled again after that. If I didn't know any better, I could swear that we've been targeted for some reason. It's either that, or the Captcha we were using at the time was defeated.

I'm fairly certain the old captcha was in some way broken. Not that it was OCR'd, mind, but there must have been some kind of attack to render it useless. I'll see if I can figure out from the Apache logs what the rate of verification question failed attempts is - maybe that's made the bigger difference.

I tried activating the reCAPTCHA plugin for SMF, but it's broken :( I'll keep checking for new releases. Although if it ain't broken (current captcha), maybe there's no need to fix it.

Offline Cowboy

Re: SMF 2 forum software upgrade / new look
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2011, 04:52:31 PM »
Another really big reason why I moved from SMF to IPB was because of the spam problem. Unfortunately it's inherent in Open Source Software and probably their main source of income. Think Akismet.

Offline kay

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Computer geek
    • My Blog
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2011, 05:17:13 PM »
How does the software licensing terms have any impact on the spam problem? Any public service will have the same problems. And clearly they've improved things a lot in SMF 2, so happy days ;)

Offline kHz

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2011, 05:23:59 PM »
NICE!  ;)
I like the new look.

Offline Cowboy

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2011, 08:05:04 PM »
Just relaying my experiences. I think that OSS tends to attract more attention from no-gooders than paid proprietary software. Doesn't have anything to do with the license, per se.

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • cables make a difference
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2011, 10:27:01 PM »
nice being able to see pics on BB now
Contact me for denon, monitor audio,klipsch, rotel,boston,velodyne,marantz,oppo,  B&W.any many more quality brands. We install home cinema , dstv and top line security systems.we now also do nad, mission and psb.yamaha,onkyo,integra,Cambridge audio.svs

Offline Atjan

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2011, 10:41:36 PM »
Generally looks great! Only thing I don't like is the "started by......." under the thread titles - makes it difficult to read - preferred when they were in separate columns. Just my 5c! Doogle
+1

Nice new, up-to-date look.
It's only hifi people....

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2011, 10:53:28 PM »
I'm fairly certain the old captcha was in some way broken. Not that it was OCR'd, mind, but there must have been some kind of attack to render it useless. I'll see if I can figure out from the Apache logs what the rate of verification question failed attempts is - maybe that's made the bigger difference.

I tried activating the reCAPTCHA plugin for SMF, but it's broken :( I'll keep checking for new releases. Although if it ain't broken (current captcha), maybe there's no need to fix it.

With the older Captchas, once the spammers get hold of the session ID they can have a field day doing whatever they like...

reCaptcha is really good (once you can get to to work)...

Spam is a real bane, considering the emails that I got (and do still sometimes get), are totally meaningless.

Another really big reason why I moved from SMF to IPB was because of the spam problem. Unfortunately it's inherent in Open Source Software and probably their main source of income. Think Akismet.

The main problem I have had with openSource CMS (Joomla) has been that you have to really keep a watch out for patches and security notices... If you don't patch your install within 12 hours then all sorts of bots and script kiddies try to take advantage...

AFAIK the SMF developers are pretty well organised and have a strong leadership...

BTW, I am really happy that they have kept 'imode', and it improved on it at the same time... (i.e. http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php?imode ). The option to "Go to full version" is a nice edition to the software for viewing full posts with images.

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • cables make a difference
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2011, 10:55:13 PM »
ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS KARMA THING IS .
Contact me for denon, monitor audio,klipsch, rotel,boston,velodyne,marantz,oppo,  B&W.any many more quality brands. We install home cinema , dstv and top line security systems.we now also do nad, mission and psb.yamaha,onkyo,integra,Cambridge audio.svs

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2011, 10:57:58 PM »
ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS KARMA THING IS .

All caps is bad karma... read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma  :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette#Common_characteristics

Karma mode - Karma is a feature that shows the popularity of a member. Members, if allowed, can 'applaud' or 'smite' other members, which is how their popularity is calculated. The following options are available:
http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=104.0

Offline NoSnipeLimit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Living life @ 1hz
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2011, 06:38:25 PM »
i see the new look isn't as phone friendly as the previous one. Scaling doesnt seem to be happening. Not a magor issue, more an annoyance.
"Thank you for helping us help you help us all."

Offline ByronH

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2011, 09:44:02 PM »
+1
Pleasantly surprised by the updated forum, thanks Kay! 8)

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2011, 09:50:31 PM »
i see the new look isn't as phone friendly as the previous one. Scaling doesnt seem to be happening. Not a magor issue, more an annoyance.

I use the 'imode' variant and that has definitely been improved with the 'view full version' option available...

Try it: http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php?imode

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2011, 07:37:23 AM »
Anyone else also having trouble accessing the forum through Tapatalk? It causes my app to crash and be closed when I try opening a post?