Author Topic: General Ignorance of Science  (Read 74194 times)

Offline ---------

• Account Locked
  • Trade Count: (0)
General Ignorance of Science
« on: November 07, 2011, 01:14:28 PM »
I recently read a number of surveys, which were conducted in the USA and Europe to determine levels scientific knowledge, and the results are shocking. Almost half of the Americans surveyed believe that the earth (and, by extension, the universe) is less than 10,000 years old (whereas the true figure is 4.6 billion years). Twenty per cent of the people surveyed in Britain believe that: (a) it takes one month for the Earth to go around the sun (the figure is more than 20 per cent for Ireland, Austria, Spain and Denmark); and (b) winter and summer are the result of the earth moving further away or closer to the sun, respectively. In about half of the countries surveyed in Europe, almost a third of the respondents believe that humans lived at the same time as dinosaurs (the figures range from 9 per cent in Sweden and Switzerland to 42 per cent of the respondents in Turkey who believe humans coexisted with dinosaurs). Responses to the proposition that 'human beings developed from earlier species of animals' ranged from 80+ per cent concurring (in Denmark, Sweden, France and Britain) to only about 50 per cent believing that this is true (in Poland, Croatia, Austria, Greece, Romania, Bulgaria, Latvia, Lithuania, Cyprus and Turkey). In fact, a majority of the Turkish population believes that evolution is false (this is probably true for much of the Islamic world). It would be really interesting to know how South Africans would score in a similar survey.

Offline Stefan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: General Ignorance of Science
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 01:33:43 PM »
Interesting post AB. I'm always amazed by how many stupid people there are(stupid meaning people who lack knowledge of a certain subject but disregard the facts).

I don't think Saffas are any cleverer. I like reading the Sci-Tech articles on news24 from time to time and it always amuses me how retarded the commentary are.
Eg. People who have never heard of radio active carbon dating, have no understanding of geology, never read or seen a scientific article/journal or know the bases of how a scientific study is carried out. They'll reject all speculation of how the universe were created or claims of evolution and claim everything is rubbish made up by some mad scientist(read: anti Gracious) in some dodgy lab.
(Insert inspirational quote)

Offline Viagara

• Legendary Member
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Flying High, Digging Low
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 01:35:35 PM »
Speak to the majority of South African teenagers and you will be shocked by their total lack of knowledge in most areas. This is despite the fact that they think they know everything.

As an example, my inlaws visited some time ago and brought their one 17 year old granddaughter along. The career she is interested in is tourism and when we told her that the sign above Gordons Bay(GB) in fact means General Botha, she proclaimed that she is not interested in this fact, but only in questions asked duriing exams!

Then again there are things our 5 year old daughter knows that most teenagers don't have a clue about - The Moon, Sun, stars, insects, technology, etc, etc.
Don't take life too seriously, you will not make it out alive.....

(Location Cape Town)

Offline Andrew

• FLBP Aficionado
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 01:38:09 PM »
News24 is a breeding ground for some of the most unbalanced characters we have in South Africa...by now this post would have attracted a large portion of them.
Don't judge me for being quiet - no one plans a murder aloud.

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 01:41:42 PM »
I think that such a survey amongst science teachers might rack up some interresting results, never mind their scholars. Math & Science education is one of the biggest challenges facing SA in my book. It is not even just the curricula, but the formulaic approach pervasive here (the "correct answer" to the question referred to by alphabet) and not learning a different perspective to our world.

Offline Stefan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 01:43:44 PM »
So who does not believe in evolution? :D
(Why is there a bunch of apes following me?)
(Insert inspirational quote)

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 01:47:06 PM »
So who does not believe in evolution? :D
Watch Battlestar Galactica; it will all become clear(er)... you... hybrid-clone you...
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline ViVoAudio

• Commercial Member
    • vivoaudio
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 01:53:24 PM »
I'm not a scientist, I just find science topic fascinating.

Can some explain to how this works:
For things older than approximately 50000 years geologist or paleontologist use the fossil index.

1.The sediment layers of the earth is aged/dated by identifying the fossils you find in it and reference it to the fossil index.
2.The age of a fossil is determined by which sediment layer you find it in.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that circular reasoning.
If its music you want to hear 

Offline MorneDJ

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 01:58:03 PM »
News24 is a breeding ground for some of the most unbalanced characters we have in South Africa...by now this post would have attracted a large portion of them.
sudden onset of laughter resulted in a mouth full of soup over my keyboard and screen ... thanks Andrew
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, as you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup ...

Offline ---------

• Account Locked
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 02:03:29 PM »

For things older than approximately 50000 years geologist or paleontologist use the fossil index.

1.The sediment layers of the earth is aged/dated by identifying the fossils you find in it and reference it to the fossil index.

VivoAudio, like you, I may simply an interested observer. With regard to your question, the method you mention is only one of many used by geologists and paleontologists to date fossils. Among others, dating is done by the known half-life of certain elements such as carbon. (There are numerous websites that explain the various 'clocks' used by scientists). An interesting fact about the fossil record is that nothing found so far contradicts the theory of evolution (i.e. a more 'modern' species found in older sedimentary deposits).

Offline Andrew

• FLBP Aficionado
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 02:09:44 PM »
Watch Battlestar Galactica; it will all become clear(er)... you... hybrid-clone you...

Ooo! Fellow BG fan! Loved that series!

Offline WD

• Formerly Waterhond
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 02:11:22 PM »

Actually point 1 is wrong - various methods exist to determine sedimentary layer age, - including carbon dating. This determination of age can then be applied to fossils and artifacts in that layer if there are no indications of disturbance of the layer subsequent to deposit.

Offline Andrew

• FLBP Aficionado
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 02:11:39 PM »
sudden onset of laughter resulted in a mouth full of soup over my keyboard and screen ... thanks Andrew

;D I should have said unbalanced and rabid... Makes for interesting reading at times, though.

Offline Moog

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 02:12:45 PM »
I recently read a number of surveys, which were conducted in the USA and Europe to determine levels scientific knowledge, and the results are shocking. Almost half of the Americans surveyed believe that the earth (and, by extension, the universe) is less than 10,000 years old (whereas the true figure is 4.6 billion.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 02:15:16 PM by Moog »

Offline ViVoAudio

• Commercial Member
    • vivoaudio
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 02:16:08 PM »
Actually point 1 is wrong - various methods exist to determine sedimentary layer age, - including carbon dating. This determination of age can then be applied to fossils and artifacts in that layer if there are no indications of disturbance of the layer subsequent to deposit.

OK
But Carbon dating is only accurate for  58,000 to 62,000 years
so which are the other methods to determine the age of the sediment?
If its music you want to hear