Musical Fidelity M1 DAC-A - First impressions

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cybasoul

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I think the DAC has only about 4 hours of play, so Im sure it hasnt run in fully yet but it does sound a bit better than when I first powered it.
Im currently using a 2 meter A-B USB cable(Still looking for a shorter one with better insulation) that I got from a colleague after the DAC was unexpectedly delivered and I didnt have all the cables ready for it. Im using old, crappy, pavement special interconnects that will be replaced soon.

My setup: HTPC(Win 7 + Foobar2000 + WASAPI) -> USB -> DAC -> Receiver

I initially had a problem with Foobar2000 and WASAPI causing some stuttering in the playback and it took me two nights to figure it out: I had to lower the output buffer in Foobar2000 to about 500ms. I didnt have this problem with the X-FI card so it might be a USB issue.

Now how doest it sound? Cleaner, way cleaner than the receiver's DAC and even cleaner than the X-FI. The sound is very wide with the vocals projected very nicely in the center. I used to hear some defects on high pitched vocals, but not with this puppy. I listened to Ray Charles's  Georgia on my mind this morning and the imaging was just great. Rays was dead centered, with his broad voice projected nicely. The backup singers were on the left together with some strings . The piano on the right with the drums. The detail is just brilliant.
The highs are great, not harsh at all and the lows are just as impressive. I also listened to few MP3s and they also sound better now, much better.

I payed R5800 for the DAC including delivery. This is my best stereo upgrade yet, so the price is worth it. All in all Im very happy with this DAC and Im sure it will get better after a couple of playback hours and after the interconnects upgrades.

To anyone who loves listening to music and dont have a dedicated DAC, you need to invest in one.

Latest posts