Author Topic: The 10 most significant turntables  (Read 4399 times)

Offline ---------

Offline grant

Re: The 10 most significant turntables
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 04:05:03 PM »
Thanks for the link!

Offline ---------

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 04:12:03 PM »
You're welcome grant.

Any comments from owners of turntables on the selection by The Absolute Sound?

Offline Rod

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 05:23:09 PM »
Well I have a sota sapphire (non vacum) and I love it - the only negative amongst all the positives are parts for the older models can be a bit expensive for those who what to resurrect the dead but a quality turntable from a reputable company that is still producing today. - this may sound a bit bias ha ha

Speak to anyone who has ow end  a sapphire and I'm sure they would praise it.

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 06:04:44 PM »
Two number 7's rest peacefully awaiting a few minor things!
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Agaton Sax

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 06:09:30 PM »
In the magazine each writer gives his individual choices. Some are sensible ,some stupid. The heading says the 10 most influential turntables not necessarily the best sounding. IMOthe most obvious that should be included:

Micro Seiki 1500/5000/ 8000. They started the skeletal table/heavy mass/ thread drive as well as the air bearing/vacuum clamp. They influenced the Platine Verdier and all the heavies(Galibier,Redpoint etc) that followedThey should be there not the stupid tweaky Walker.

Goldmund Reference. This should be the Thorens Reference but the latter is so obscure that few people know of it(plus modesty forbids me to nominate the Thorens). The Refs started the whole full out,money no object assault that is currently carrying the whole vinyl resurgance. Hell stuff this- the Thorens Reference ,yes my baby. Three phase regenerated power to the motor  when 3 phase was only used in industrial washing machines, constrained damping using panzerholz etc 20 years before anybody else,lowest rumble ever in any table-Thorens had to invent a machine to measure the Refs rumble!

Clearaudio . Started the move to elegant engineering solutions. Effective resonance control without springs, shape of plinth as resonance control etc.Not the first to use acrylic or no suspension,or linear tonearms but it's use was so elegant,so right.

Pioneer PL 12. The rubbish that showed non audiophiles that turntables do sound different and is important.

Those on the list I have owned: LP 12. Showed how effective BS and thievery can be and let's face it,started the whole movement.Goldmund Studio: Yes the first high end table.Direct Drive when that was a No-No,Metachrylate when that was only used by Orthopaedic Surgeons,Lead ingots in the Metachrylate, A linear tonearm  that sent most owners to see Psychiatrists but  but but when it worked -Ooh Boy.Thorens TD124. Showed that idlers need not rumble ,can be well engineered and need not resemble farming tools.So yes these three should be there.

Offline mahleu

• Modem Forumator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Call a spade a spade, not a banana.
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 07:36:28 PM »

Pioneer PL 12. The rubbish that showed non audiophiles that turntables do sound different and is important.

I've got one of these that i've been meaning to sort out. Thanks for the motivation :D
Always up for coffee and investments - insurance - retirement.

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 07:48:21 PM »
+1 on the pl12

Fdlsys has an interesting pl12 project awaiting completion in his garage...

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 11:06:09 PM »
+1 on the pl12
Fdlsys has an interesting pl12 project awaiting completion in his garage...
Hey JQ! Indeed, the "Unsuspended PL12" ;)

@Mahley, nothing wrong with PL12 engine department and transmission, it's the arm that's not worth a dime.
However, if one wants to keep it cheep & cheerful, even that arm (improved pivot/bearings) can be made into a perfectly decent performer.
Obviously, the original plinth only works if you keep it suspended, and that's not what I had in mind...
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline skollie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 12:35:43 AM »
The one that also should be there is the common 'n garden, made by the hundred thousand HMV leatherette-covered windup gramophone which brought recorded music to the masses from India to Timbuktu.

What say you, jdza?

Modesty prevent me from proposing a certain cream-coloured rumbler with funny brown bakelite controls and going by the highfalutin' description as 'motor unit'...

mafioso
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 02:12:28 AM »
The one that also should be there is the common 'n garden, made by the hundred thousand HMV leatherette-covered windup gramophone which brought recorded music to the masses from India to Timbuktu.

Well ..... I am the proud possessor one of those! (See where it got me!)

My Mother bought it somewhere in the early thirties just before I was born (o magtag, daar is die waarheid nou uit!  No, I do not mean my age; the possibility of it having been a contributor to my being conceived .... who knows.)
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline Agaton Sax

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 07:26:28 AM »
certain cream-coloured rumbler with funny brown bakelite controls and going by the highfalutin' description as 'motor unit'...

Pah! Farm machinery made by a jewellers apprentice! One of the so serious Germans on Audiogon said it  well "It makes every record sound like it was recorded at Kingsway Hall" For those not familiar with  mainly Decca? classical records. Kingsway Hall has fabulous acoustics but also has an underground train running beneath . This gives all recordings a rather inappropriately unusual rumbly bass .

ALL THE ABOVE IN JEST!! The Garrards are there. Should they be ? I think either them or the TD 124(Although TAS has both) .Ancestry ,the sort of hatred one can only have for something after a failed love affair with certain British motorcars (Spit here) and admiration for engineering from those few square kilometers of central Europe make me nominate zee Thorens TD 124.

Offline chipwelder

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 09:51:51 AM »
Hey I've got the AR's newer brother... the Delta, or eb101, looks way prettier, rounded sides and everything.
OK! I've had it! I don't give anymore Kharma. Kharma should work in mysterious ways...

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 01:33:41 PM »
They forgot the most influencial one: Garrard SP25. Every home must have had one in the 70's, in one or other guise.

DON'T PANIC
Capie