Budget Sub-woofer enclosure upgrade

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louis

Reaction score
I started this project on 17 December to keep my self-busy while my wife worked her last week. The budget: R200 (excluding tools, all the mdf/Hardwood was left over from other projects) reason for the low budget being I did not want to spend to much on the old enclosure but still wanted it to look better and sound better. The only problem being I had no hand tools to speak of because on the weekend of the 8th of Decembers some &*^^*% broke in to my shop and stole all the hand tools. They only left the big table saw and my triton router table. And me having a hard time getting them replaced by the insurance company (but that is an entirely different subject). So I went out to the nearest pawnshop and bought me a R50 router and made a circle routing jig.

The original enclosure was build just to hear how the driver sound and what kind of performance I could expect, so it was slapped together in an afternoon and made a big hole for a port and I painted it with some left over blue acrylic paint. Something of note after I did this I was pretty happy with the performance of the driver and enclosure so I left it as is for over 2 years and has had numerous appeals by my wife and frequent movie-watching friends to build a more eye friendly enclosure for this Sub.

The function of this Sub is solely for watching movies where one wants to feel those big explosions and earthquakes. And to impress the younger ones in the family with their ?DOEF DOEF? music.

Here are some Pics of the journey. (Sorry for the low quality of the photos but they where taken with my cell-phone camera)

The old Enclosure in all it's glory

Some of the old panels

My custom router circle jig

The ports and input plate routed out

The Rhodesian Teak that was used for the top

The ports rounded over

New Back panel screwed and glued :)

New back panel flush trimmed

15" eminence Kappa Pro 600 watts rms on the new bottom panel (that is 30mm thick MFD I got from a friend :) )

Routing the circle

Bottom panel Screwed and glued and Flush-trimmed

View of the internal bracings and dampening

Top panel Glued and screwed on and flush trimmed

Top rounded over and all screw holes plugged and sanded down

Enclosure sanded down and ready for first coat of matt black

After 3 coats of paint and 5 coats of varnish..

View of the top

Well after the rebuild and port redesign it sounds 10 times better than what it used too, I?m very pleased with the end result in looks and sound not bad for 4 days work.