Best value DAC/Amp for an iPod?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rupert

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I want to start using my old 5.5th-Gen iPod Video at work, because it looks as if listening to music from the hard drive is not going to be possible anymore. My plan is to get a FiiO Line-Out Dock Cable (L1 or L3, not sure which is better yet) to connect the iPod to the headphone amp part of whatever device I buy.  However, if the device can get the straight digital signal* out of the iPod, that wins first prize. 

It would be nice, but not essential, for the device to have USB-in so I can also use it as a DAC/amp when I plug it into a computer.

It would also be nice, but not essential, for the DAC to handle 24-bit audio rather than just 16-bit.

So, bearing in mind all the above, what is the best value headphone DAC/amp for an old iPod Video? (Note the best value vs "best" ... my budget is limited.)

* PS - I know the Nuforce Icon iDo can get straight digital out of an iDevice, but it only appears to be compatible with the latest iPod Touches, iPhones and iPads ...)

Latest posts