Food for men. What do you make well?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterhond

R.I.P. August 2020
Reaction score
Most guys have food they take pride in making, wether it be just the regular braai, a potjie or a killer curry. Share your fave here unless you want to keep it a secret! ;D

I made some of this yesterday and it is seriously more-ish!

Bean Soup (Boontjiesop):
This recipe owes a lot to: Michael Olivier, Cape Town's Wine & Food guru - I've adapted it slightly.

Ingredients:

500g red speckled sugar beans (covered with plenty water and soaked overnight)
2 med carrots cut into medium to smallish bits
1 onion chopped
1 celery stick chopped
250g smoked bacon or kasler pork chops cut into small blocks
1 table spoon tomato paste
1 cube chicken stock
1 cube vegetable stock (garlic and herb also works well)
1 teaspoon minced garlic (2 or 3 cloves)
3 whole cloves (Naeltjies) - the magic ingredient!
2 bayleaf
A knife point (mes-punt) each of Cayenne pepper, Allspice, Mace and Nutmeg (any or all of these 4 can be left out but adds greatly to the flavour!)
A couple of turns of fresh ground black pepper
Optional: 1 finely chopped green chili

Method:
In the pressure cooker:
Fry onions and bacon in a little oil until they've changed colour (browning is a misnomer - onions should be translucent and bacon just lose the red colour) This process gives intensity of flavor so don't skip it!
Add the veggie bits and fry, stirring to prevent burning, for another 3 to 5 minutes - again, don't skip this step!
Add all the other ingredients plus two litres of water.
Bring to the boil, lock lid on and pressure cook for 1 hour 15 minutes. (Add an hour if not in a pressure cooker)
Check if beans are melt in the mouth soft - use a potato masher to mash some chunky bits in the pot so that soup is nice and thick with about half of it still whole/unmashed.

For seasoning after cooking:
1 table spoon of balsamic vinegar or lemon juice if you prefer.
1 level teaspoon sugar
Salt and more pepper to taste

Enjoy with your favourite fresh bread and butter with cheese or Bovril if you like.
This soup freezes very well and tastes even better later!