Author Topic: New addition to collection  (Read 2855 times)

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: New addition to collection
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 11:57:19 AM »
For a steal (+-R1000), the Sennheiser HD448 has a midrange that punches way above its price range and will suit your requirements of piano and female vocals to a tee. A bit flabby and light on the bass unamped though, but with half decent amplication it really shines! I much prefer it to the HD595 I used to have. From what I've read the HD598 should be a decent improvement on the HD595. I'm just a bit wary at is appears that the design is the same as the older headphone which had build quality issues.

Otherwise for double the price I might suggest an AKG K271! I quite liked Norah Jones with that headphone and it made jazz sound quite spacious and airy which was nice, but I don't think it would do as well for other genres.

On a side note, piano was also one thing I consider the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 to be slightly less adapt at. Made piano notes sound slightly metallic, but apart from that it is a brilliant allrounder and loves a bit of power.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 12:00:54 PM by kamikazi »

Offline Kane

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
    • Air Rifle SA
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 10:04:31 PM »
Try some Stax - electrostatic headphones

Not a bad suggestion but bear in mind the added expense of requiring a dedicated energizer/stat amp for the Stax headphones.
“Sirs, I have tested your gramophone machine. It adds a new terror to life and makes death a long-felt want.”
Herbert Beerbohm Tree

Offline 2much2young2fast

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 08:19:53 PM »
Hi-Phibian hooked me up with the AKG Q701's, it's exactly what I wanted, more than satisfied! ;D

Offline bearenzo

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 09:20:57 PM »
AKG K501 - good with piano