[Help wanted] viewing a turntable later today

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funcrusha76

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm new to the AVForums, and to be honest quite new to the AV world. I'll save the introductions for later, but for now would like to ask some advice from the experienced folk around here.

Later today I'm going to view a Technics turntable that someone who I don't know personally is selling. It sounds like a solid deck, suitable for home listening. But I don't know what kind of condition the deck is in. The seller describes it as "in good working condition", and hasn't been able to tell me much about the condition of the tonearm, cartridge and stylus.

I've also asked if, when I look at it, I'll be able to play something back on it to give it a test. But it would appear that the turntable is not currently connected to an amp, probably just a wall socket (!).

So I need to ask: how do I test if this deck is in the condition they actually claim, without being able to test it fully. It's not like I can lug an amp along with me. Are there any tell-tale signs I should look out for? What does a n00b like me do?

FYI, the deck seems really well priced - a bargain even.

Please help.

Funcrusha

Latest posts