Magneplanar SMGa

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphabet

R.I.P.
Reaction score
I was given a set of Magneplanar SMGa speakers yesterday and after looking at their condition had no hope of them still working, but being an eternal optimist connected them up late last night.

To my surprise they worked and to quote the Home Network adverts, and that's not all! They sound better than anything I have ever heard! I expected good highs and mids, but more surprising is the prodigious bass these panels produce, not to mention the soundstage which is immense, high, wide and deep. Off course being planar designs, the same amount of sound is produced at the back of the speaker as at the front ;)

There was a slight problem with vibration on some low notes, but there could a be number of reasons. The speakers don't have there stands(feet) anymore and I rested them against my front speakers which could have contributed to the vibrations.

I used the NAD320BEE that normally does duties as a headphone amp to drive them and even at low volumes(between 7 and 8 'o clock) the sound remained "full".

My wife who normally asks "Now where are you going to fit that piece of equipment in?" actually asked if we would be able to have these "babies" renovated ;D

Now the question remains, does anyone know of someone who would be able to restore these speakers to their former glory, preferably in Cape Town?