The usual TT dilemma's and other things.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Analogos

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I don't want to derail other threads and every time I post in some TT thread it get's greeted with a certain sense of hostility.
So I have started this thread as I gave see some interesting developments and trails of thought over the past few weeks.
Some of the comments that triggered this off.

Atjan said:
I'll watch this thread as I'm starting to wonder if there's such a thing as a good sound old tt. I mean, what is left after changing:
1. Cartridge
2. Tone arm
3. New mat
4. Plinth
5. Move the power supply out
6. Rewire.
7. Sort out the drive mechanism, whether its bearings or motor or belt whatever.

Seems you might as well build your own from scratch as there's  nothing (not much that makes a difference anyway) left once you're done.  ;p

Anyway, its interesting to follow your journey. As I said before, once you can create your own you really understand.

Correct, GITM tried this a few years back and realised that cots escalate like mad when it comes to the final production.
I know some like to experiment, some like to tweak and mod and go mad and in the end of the day they are still not entirely satisfied, they (a) end up selling their highly modified deck for a pittance and (b) they eventually invest all their money in to something decent made a a reputable name with some "modern mods" already done to deal with the grizzly's around vinyl or (c) even worse, they ditch it all in leu if digital playback.
Now I don't see an issue with modding and such, one could get a Thorens or a Lenco and really spend some good money and get them up to scratch (excuse the pun) to deal with their more modern rivals, now to me this makes sense, these tables have some great sentimental value.
For me, I will rather save the money on big mods and get a decent deck to start off with, reason for this I have had a good taste of what the more mid to high end and esoteric vinyl playback tools can do to music and my ears.
I have a deck which is my "nostalgic" deck, it's a modified Rega, pretty as heck but at this stage essentially an ornament.

mafioso said:
The thing which got to me is that many fellas still don't consider vinyl as a serious and worthwhile source of music.

mafioso

Now this comment is one I really enjoy.
I will even go as far as to say that some people get in to vinyl purely because they are inquisitive or they have heard that it "sounds better" so they get in to the whole game under false pretenses.
A garage or boot sale or a hand me down here and there and they expect magic, as we all know, this magic only appears after some meticulous care has been taken and some extreme measures have been taken to get the deck properly isolated and some other mods have been done to get a better arm on there and the list goes on.
Some of these fellas walk away telling people that vinyl sucks and that it's for old people who cling to the sentimental.

This approach I like :

Silver.Audio said:
For now I will use this Sansui while I am looking for the proper thing!! And saving up some $$ for it. ;D

Dwelt

and then :

Silver.Audio said:
Hi All.
Just to get this out there.
1.) I do have a few LPs and would like to have the equipment to do them justice.
2.) Another reason is because vinyl and TT's remind me of my youth, sitting on the carpet listening to mom's LPs on a rainy day when I could not play outside.
3.) There is something about vinyl that keeps me coming back. When cleaning out the cupboard those LP's always stay in the "I will never get rid of this" pile.
4.) I did not have a player for some years and when I got hold of the Sansui I thought this would surely be better than nothing.

With that all said I am now hopefully starting a new era in my HiFi experience and will be starting a new thread regarding the Lenco as soon as I have it.

Thanks for all of the comments and interest.

Look out for my Lenco thread.

Thanks
Dewald

I can sense a big convert to the format in the making here.

Thanks folks, that's all for tonight, feel free to flame me and whatever else it might take (and the obligatory smiley)  ;)