DIY versus Brand Name Speakers

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audio Bug

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Let me state at the outset that it is not my intention to stir a hornets' nest. I simply wish to gain a better understanding of the logic that informs a decision to build your own speakers as opposed to buying them from your local dealer.

I have followed the DIY speaker projects on the forum with much interest, admiration and envy. However, I was wondering whether homemade speakers are significantly better sounding than mass produced speakers at the same or similar price? To contextualise my question, allow me to raise a few issues. A company like B&W, for example, has millions at its disposable to invest in testing facilities, R&D and skilled technicians. Large speaker manufacturers can also reap the benefits of economies of scale. If it was possible to produce brand-beating speakers in your garage, would we not have seen a massive proliferation of producers flooding the market? Does the same logic apply to other mass produced goods? Would anyone buy a DIY car or television?

Latest posts