Nad driving kefs

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nadfan

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all. I bought my first decent budget home entertainment system about 20 months ago, so I'm still relatively new to this game. Set-up consists of Nad T743 A/V receiver, Nad C525BEE cd player, Nad T513 dvd player, Kef iQ5s, PSB Alpha 5.1 speakers, Van den Hul - The name analogue interconnects and Snowline speaker wire and some R200+ digital interconnects. I've swopped my PSB LR1s (R1200 p/p) for Kef iQ5s (R6000 p/p), which I use as mains with a Nad T743 A/V. Obviously a huge improvement in detail and overall audio presentation BUT I've noticed that I have to push up the volume a bit after the swop and it seems that the Kefs are more power hungry. The Kefs are 8ohms and the PSBs are 6ohms. Could this be the reason? It seems almost that the Kefs are not being properly and efficiently driven by the T743. Although the Kefs are 88dB and a full range 3 way design and the PSBs are small satelites, rated at 86dB and only 2 way. I would assume that a dedicated stereo integrated amp will be able to let the Kefs "sing" and "pump" a bit more? Please advise.