REVOX A740 POWER AMPLIFIER, a good story

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charles

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
REVOX-A740 STEREO POWER AMPLIFIER, a good story

This is not meant for the Vintage section as this amplifier may possibly be one of the very well made audio amplifiers, even when comparing it with today?s ones.

A couple of months I obtained a very in-pieces a Revox A740 audio amplifier. I had it at the back of a bakkie on a thick sponge when I took it home. It is a very heavy and big amplifier. I is very well designed and manufactured. Balanced and unbalanced inputs and a a so called ?double VU meter display?. 

I have done lots of restorations, mainly on valve amplifiers, but this one looked a good candidate for a spare/scrap components application. The top and one side cover were missing. All the wires of the big mains transformer were cut off the voltage selector and there were lots of other faults.   

I had a good look at it and though maybe, maybe something could be done with this highly collectable Revox audio amplifier. 

After a discussion with Dewald regarding the possible restoration of the amplifier, he indicated that there may a possibility to do it.
Well, after some time Dewald did the impossible, he restored it to its former glory, now it is working perfectly. For this I am very grateful to Dewald, a real professional restorer.

Dewald will now continue the story with some photographs and a discussion regarding the whole restoration process.   

Latest posts