Wharfedale Pacific Evolution-30 vs Monitor Audio BR6

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinosfronimos

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I have an opportunity to buy a pair of Wharfedale Pacific Evolution-30's (Mark 1)...
Currently I have a pair of Monitor Audio BR6's in my HT setup and I am very fond of them.
The are driven by my Cambridge Audio Asure 540R V3.

https://www.manualshelf.com/manual/wharfedale/wharfedale/international-pacific-evolution-series-instruction-manual-wharfedale/page-6.html
vs
https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/support/past-products/bronze-br/br6/

Looks aside (I prefer the black of my BR6's over the cherry of the EVO 30's, although the EVO 30's curved cabinet is certainly more stylish than the BR6's rectangle) what else separates these two speakers?
The EVO 30's seem to be a few years older than the BR6's.
The EVO 30's have only two 6.5" mid/bass drivers, although they are Kevlar; while the BR6's have one 6.5" mid and 2 6.6" mid/bass drivers.
The tweeters are 1" textile dome (EVO30) vs 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeter (BR6).
Otherwise the speakers seem similarly spec'ed (both 6 ohms, 33Hz/35Hz to 20kHz, 89dB vs 90dB sensitivity, 30 - 200W vs 40-15W amplification - for the EVO30 vs BR6s respectively).
The EVO30s seem to be very well looked after, although I do know how well I've cared for my BR6s.
There are few meaningful reviews on the EVO 30s - so I'm a bit in the dark.  :nfi:

I have not been looking to replace my BR6's, but would I be missing a good opportunity if I passed up these EVO 30s?
I know people are going to reply that I should audition them - but I don't have any confidence in objectively remembering my BR6s, and comparing them to the EVO30s (plus I'd need to lug my amp etc).
So what I'm really asking I guess, is that are the EVO30's a tier above the BR6s?
Or are both speakers similarly tiered? And any difference would be about preference for a similarly performing speaker at a similar tiers?

Alternatively, if I assist this chap to sell these here (with all responsibility taken etc) - what is a reasonable asking price for the Evo 30s (MK1)?

Thanks for the feed :thumbs:back

Latest posts