passive 3D vs active shutter 3D

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1447

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
i had an active shutter 40" Samsung 3D TV - but i have always been a firm believer that passive 3D would actually be a lot better and for 3D to be effective its way better with a larger screen. I managed to find a buyer for the Samsung 40" because a buddy wanted something for his kid's room and i then landed up getting myself an LG 50LA6210 (it lands up being huge because its in a room that is only 3m x 3.2m in size and its also being used as a PC monitor)

link to specs = http://www.lg.com/za/tvs/lg-50LA6210

LOT50LA6200.jpg

this thing comes with a really cool toy to play around with in the form of the "magic remote" - this is a tiny little remote control that you point at the TV which creates a cursor like a mouse cursor which allows gesture control of the functionality and also voice recognition ..... so its a TV that you can talk to

this is what that remote looks like - the scroll wheel in the centre allows you to move the cursor around and also serves as the "enter" button

lg-an-mr400-magic-remote-medium01.jpg

i dont have calibration equipment so i landed up using the calibration settings found on this page at LCD buying guide

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lg-lcd-tv/lg-la6200-picture-settings.html

only difference between the 6200 described on that page and the 6210 is that the 6200 uses a refresh rate of 120hz (for american NTSC) and the 6210 uses 100hz for our PAL standard otherwise they are the exact same TV

the passive 3D performance of this TV is superb - it provides stunning picture quality when you do the calibration adjustments .... the picture is super stable and totally glitch free with absolutely no flicker present ..... and despite the refresh rate being a lowish 100hz it still gives less motion blur than the 200hz Samsung active shutter LED TV ..... i landed up checking a few scenes in the 3D version of Prometheus and one scene in Avatar whereupon i just had to watch the entire movie again ..... and trust me it wasnt boring going through it because it was an entirely different experience .....Well done LG on producing a pretty good 3D experience

it wasnt all positive though - the blacks are not entirely black (but this plagues most LCD and LED monitors anyway) and a wee amount of backlight bleeding at the edges when the room is entirely dark which makes those black lines at the top and bottom of a 16:9 movie look more gray than black but other than that i dont have too many complaints given that i managed to get the TV for a really good price compared to what pricecheck says i should be paying ...... though what helped in that regard was the fact that it comes with a skype camera and my buddies retained that and gave me a bigger discount to compensate for something that i wont ever be using

my conclusion after this exercise though is that if you really do want to watch 3D with glasses on then the passive method is the way to go .... it doesnt result in the annoying headaches or dizziness or nausea that the active type can induce - and when you run out of glasses you can just go and get the cheap  Ster Kinekor ones (next time i go to the Cinema im going to buy 10 of those glasses)

heres a pic of mine on the stand for temporary - i have to get it wall mounted as a more permanent solution but for now its just on the top of the rack

workinprogress_zps68a6b44e.jpg