DSP for the masses

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been trawling the internet for the past 10 years, looking for options to use Digital methods to enable speaker crossovers and, latterly, room EQ.
During that time, the options have been many and varied and I have come across many cleverly produced software solutions (Bodzio, FooBar 2000 and Raspberry pi) and hardware platforms as expensive standalones (miniDSP), or incorporated into amplifier modules (Dayton audio, Arylic or Wondom)
I know my way around Linux command line editing, but the LADSPA, FIR, IIR language is just too complicated for me.
So, I set the following criteria:
1. Hardware cost no greater than equivalent Passive or active analogue crossovers.
2. Easily available software, preferably free
3. A GUI interface - no command line hacking
4. Easy connection to a PC/Laptop
5. Instruction resources (English manuals, YouTube videos, accessible websites)
6. Simple analogue inputs and outputs
7. Simple power supply
8. Stand alone unit, ie not incorporated into an amplifier module
Boiled down, interpret that as Cheap and Easy - hence "for the masses"
I don't need to understand programming to use computers as a tool - that's what I wanted in a DSP unit.

I am very pleased to report that, today, I stumbled across what I believe will be the solution. And no, I have no financial affiliation.
This is a link to the module: TSA1701 Audio DSP Board At only $21 it fulfils my number 1 criteria easily!
It uses the Analog Digital SigmaStudio software which has a very good GUI that makes programming a crossover as easy as drag and drop (or so it seems - I will do the learning curve on this over the next 2 weeks while I wait for the 2 boards I have ordered). This is the link: https://www.analog.com/en/design-ce...e/software/ss_sigst_02.html#software-overview

I will report back once I have the units in hand.