Audio Discourse - Is it Really all BS? Part 2

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlleyCat

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I confess : I like Roger Skoff, here's some reasons why what he says resonates with my soul :

"This kind of thinking—that if it's not in the book it must not be either real or applicable[4]—is found not just about wires, but all through HiFi[5], with altogether too many audiophiles or even so-called "authorities" relying more on what they've been taught or what "makes sense" than on what their own ears or the experience of others has taught them."

And

"People who think that it's impossible for a cable to affect the sound are simply wrong. The truth is that it's impossible for them not to. And that applies even more to things (electronics components) more complex than just simple cables."

And

"And when it comes down to it, it's more likely that it's the naysayers and trolls, and not those who hear the differences, who are spreading the BS."

And finally, one his beautiful examples :

"Use your ears; find out for yourself.

[1] Consider a plucked string bass (Bass Viol), for example. Did you know that there are actually three parts to the sound? First there's the actual pluck of the string, then the sound spreads to the whole string and, through its bridge, to the body of the instrument, then the whole body of the instrument resonates to the tone. Many people, not knowing that they're there, never hear the first two parts ("pluck" and "spread"), and hear only the "body" part of the sound—until somebody tells them that the other parts are there and they start to listen for them. At that point they become obvious!"

His article found here :
https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/hifi-bs-part-2/

Personally, I think he should add the following :

BINA's (Blind Ignorant Ninja Assassins). Who are they ? The one's that especially love to use:ROFLMAO:.

Let's hypothesize (and use Roger as an example) :

They love using the Emoji to prove their point;
Their point being to ridicule the 'post' or the person;
The 'post' as in Roger's article can be ridiculous, unfounded, unfathomable, unreasonable, to them, etc, etc;
The attack of/on the person, the OP, the commentator, contributor, etc, etc.....

Let's focus on the last : The Person, when the :ROFLMAO:emoji is used against them.

Is a defense mechanism for something that they know that The Person does not know?
Was due due diligence used to qualify whether their 'statement' is justified without knowing ANY of The Person's credentials - (We are only speaking hi-fi here) their experience, history (as in ownership of products, the real people he's interacted with, the advice he's imparted, the influence in the community, etc, etc).

To me, it's just a sign of laziness, compounded by ignorance and it can be easily corrected : Take a little time to engage with The Person of interest first, before you let those BINA's that take control of you.

You might surprise yourself by learning something/someone new.

Last edited: