Author Topic: Help on HD PVR 2 second TV  (Read 5333 times)

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
Help on HD PVR 2 second TV
« on: May 23, 2011, 08:55:56 am »
Hi guys ,help please.
I have an HD PVR 2 in the lounge with HDMI to TV no problems great picture.
I also have about 40m of RG6 running to the main bedroom connected to the RF out with TV link which was set up when I had the STD PVR installed a few years back.
The signal on the STD PVR to the bedroom was good however on the HD PVR it is really crappy even with a set back amplifier.
I have tried running a new co-ax cable to the second tv to see if that sorts out the picture but no luck.It helps but quality is still crap.
It seems the out put on the HD PVR 2 RF is a lot lower that on the std PVR.
Can one purchase and use a second HD PVR decoder under one subscription?
Thanks

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 09:07:42 am by Ctrl_Alt_Del »
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.

Offline ---------

• Account Locked
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: HD PVR 2 second TV
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 09:12:58 am »
Is the TV in your room HD? If it is not, then all you need is an Extra View decoder. If it is, getting another HD PVR is definitely worth it. I've got two HD decoders and the TV in the room is connected via CAT5 and a remote blaster. The picture is great. You only pay for one subscription.

Offline CAD

• AVForums Veteran
Re: Help on HD PVR 2 second TV
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 09:45:24 am »
tx audiobug I will look into the second decoder option.I have a spare dish with twin LNB and maybe it may be worth actually having a second decoder in the main bed room.The Sony Bravia in the bedroom is HD ready and if memory serves me correctly will handle 720p which is probably about the best we get from DSTV anyway.

Offline LAV

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 09:58:54 am »
You can link the second decoder to the primary, so then you won't need anything else apart from the decoder and cabling.
Vaal Triangle (Southern Gauteng)

Offline CAD

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 10:34:02 am »
tx LAV can I get info on how to do this on DSTV's website?I a honestly worry about asking the guys in Game etc for advice on how to do things.

Offline witblits

• AVForums Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 10:45:19 am »
Is the TV in your room HD? If it is not, then all you need is an Extra View decoder. If it is, getting another HD PVR is definitely worth it. I've got two HD decoders and the TV in the room is connected via CAT5 and a remote blaster. The picture is great. You only pay for one subscription.

Does this mean your'e only using one smart card?
Ek is dalk n aap maar ek is n ou aap

Offline ---------

• Account Locked
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 10:52:46 am »
Does this mean you're only using one smart card?

Hi Witblits

Each HD PVR has its own smart card, but you only have one account and one subscription. An additional advantage of having 2 PVRs is that you can watch 2 separate channels in HD and record up to 4 other channels.

Offline ---------

• Account Locked
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 10:57:49 am »
tx audiobug I will look into the second decoder option.I have a spare dish with twin LNB and maybe it may be worth actually having a second decoder in the main bed room.The Sony Bravia in the bedroom is HD ready and if memory serves me correctly will handle 720p which is probably about the best we get from DSTV anyway.

You are correct - DSTV's HD channels are not broadcast in full HD (1080p) but rather in 720p. Also, as LAV noted, you do not need to use 2 satellite dishes. The 2 PVRs are connected in a primary-secondary configuration with a remote blaster relaying commands from the bedroom.

Offline witblits

• AVForums Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 11:00:19 am »
I've got one HD PVR and one new small noirmal decoder with extraview. but pay R60 bucks extra for the extraview.
What do I ask for at the shop if I want your setup?
Ek is dalk n aap maar ek is n ou aap

Offline ---------

• Account Locked
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 11:11:26 am »
Witblits, as far as I know, my set-up is also called Extra View. I opted for two HD PVRs because both our TVs are HD. In your set-up, the second TV only gets a SD signal. The Multichoice agents had to change the receiver on my satellite, run CAT5 cable with a HDMI splitter from the TV lounge to the bedroom, and install a remote blaster to relay the commands from the bedroom to the secondary decoder in the TV lounge.

Offline Skeeter

• AVForums Veteran
Re: Re: Help on HD PVR 2 second TV
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 11:13:31 am »
Busy with this same exercise...bought an HD PVR 2P yesterday and now just need a new LNB with SAT-CR plus 2 legacy ports.

The link between the decoders to pay only one sub is known as the heartbeat cable.

In your case Ctrl_alt_del, sounds to me like you have a dual LNB which you will need to upgrade to a quad LNB. Two additional lines will then go to the new HD PVR.

You may want to take both decoders in to activate Xtraview to avoid hassles at home.

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 11:41:51 am »
In your case Ctrl_alt_del, sounds to me like you have a dual LNB which you will need to upgrade to a quad LNB. Two additional lines will then go to the new HD PVR.

You don't need a quad LNB. Just get a 2x6 multiswitch. Two cables coming down from dual LNB gets split out to 6 signals so no need to run extra cables from the LNB.
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline Skeeter

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 11:57:07 am »
One could argue about degradation effects...anyone able to comment? Also the cost of one vs the other. R495 for the quad LNB with arguably better quality. Since we talk about snake oil here, I thought it was worth mentioning. ;)

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 12:41:39 pm »
Sure, if it was only the LNB costs attached. When you start having to run more cables down from the roof then it becomes a pain (and thus expensive)
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline Skeeter

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 01:23:16 pm »
Very marginal since you already have to lay new cables from the multiswitch anyway.

Sent using Tapatalk