HELP: First Port Resonance

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuz940510

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi there everyone

I am in the designing phase of a pair of omni-directional speakers. The idea is to have a bass reflex enclosure firing upwards into a reflector, and a similar setup for the tweeter. A company called Duevel have quite a range on offer, and i'm looking to mimic some of their design principles. I have WinISD and have fiddled around with it, and there is something i am struggling to understand.

That something is First Port Resonance. As far as i understand it, this is the point at which the port starts to act like an organ pipe. What i don't understand is at which point i.e. which frequency first port resonance is no longer an issue. The driver i'm going to use has its -3db at 30Hz and 3300Hz.

Apologies in advance if this is a beginner question, but i can't seem to find anything useful on this. What little i have found states that first port resonance should be out of the working range of the driver, but to accomplish this would require either a huge port or a tiny port, with a tiny port resulting in high port air velocity, and a huge port requiring a large length

Thanks for any advice  :)