Author Topic: Sharp vertical record players  (Read 1238 times)

Online Tom

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
Sharp vertical record players
« on: May 29, 2013, 11:11:25 am »
Does anyone perhaps know if these were any good? Sought after?

Kindest
Tom

Offline Steerpike

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Toybox
Re: Sharp vertical record players
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 01:04:19 pm »
A VZ-3000. I have one. They are actually well built & well designed - quality parts and sensible circuitry.
The big problem with the turntable is that although it has a very large inertial mass (clever design!) it only clamps the lable area and that makes it very microphonic. It will not play 10" LPs.
The pushbutton switches for audio source select oxidise (as do all such switches in all brands).

Offline oNyX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • It's called Conszumers...
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 01:50:22 pm »
For some reason they weren't very successful.
| Akai AA-910 SW | Pioneer CS-250SA with Infinity Dynamic SPRD10-10 Subs | Akai AP-B21 with AT93 |
| Blaupunkt TA-222 | Pioneer E52AP45-52F Tweeters | Ammps LS-8R86 Woofers | Blaupunkt TR-222 MPX |

Online Tom

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 01:53:30 pm »
For some reason they weren't very successful.

This is my first time seeing one...It does appear kinda...."inviting" even though Sharp was better known for their calculators.

Offline oNyX

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 01:57:47 pm »
I guess Sharp was mainly killed off because the Linn Sondek + Shure Cart was a much more popular combination. Others went for Technics, Pioneer and Kenwood TTs. My dad has a catalog with one of those vertical Sharp TTs, so their marketing must've been fair.
| Akai AA-910 SW | Pioneer CS-250SA with Infinity Dynamic SPRD10-10 Subs | Akai AP-B21 with AT93 |
| Blaupunkt TA-222 | Pioneer E52AP45-52F Tweeters | Ammps LS-8R86 Woofers | Blaupunkt TR-222 MPX |

Online Tom

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 02:40:48 pm »
Others went for Technics, Pioneer and Kenwood TTs.

Ditto,
Kenwood here, I remember taking this out of the box

Offline oNyX

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 04:30:11 pm »
My dad has a Pioneer TT like the one you sold and a Kenwood TT that he bought as part of a Kenwood KS-2000 music centre package.

Offline chrisdc

• AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 10:11:42 pm »
This is my first time seeing one...It does appear kinda...."inviting" even though Sharp was better known for their calculators.

We didn't really get to see Sharps's best here in S.A. The had an Optonica range as well - more upmarket kit. We got a preview of it at some hi-fi exhibition in a hotel in Durban - looked really classy. Some of it was available here later.

I remember working on one of those vertical turntables. I was just starting out back then and quite frankly, it terrified me  :thinking:
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" Seen on a forum somewhere....

Offline Steerpike

• Forum Moderator
    • Toybox
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 12:55:20 am »
The turntable is quite similar in design to the Technics linear trackers. The Sharp has a large belt driven die-cast platter, but with a raised piece about 10cm in diameter at the centre, so that the 'side 2' arm can move in between the record and the platter. Two linear tracking arms allow it to play both sides with no user intervention. It does not find individual tracks by itself, but speed and start size are automatically determined.

The loading mechanism is belt coupled to the loading motor, and if that belt perishes it will not open or close the record door. But there is a manual release at the back, so you can unlock the door and open it if the mechanism fails or there is no power.

The cassette deck has real independent level controls (not ALC as on so many music centres), and peak bargraph meters (of less resolution than you might guess, some LED segments light in pairs). And it has Dolby B. And automatic song finder which looks for gaps between songs. The cassette deck is not auto-reverse (fortunately!) and uses motorised head loading. It has both mic inputs and auxilliary line in.

The literature claims the tuner is PLL - that must refer to the FM demodulator, because the RF section is manual variable capacitor, with FM stereo, AM and shortwave.

It has one DIN spec line in and line out.

I think the amp is about 2x20W or 2x25W continuous average, and the speakers 2-way sealed box - quite solid & heavy.

No remote control at all. It came out in 1981.

Offline chrisdc

• AVForums Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 02:59:31 pm »

And automatic song finder which looks for gaps between songs.

Funny you should mention that, i was talking to a fellow forumite (a moderator no less) and he had never heard of automatic song finders in cassette decks.

So i guess that really dates us :) 

Do you have any idea who was first to use it? I suspect it may even have been Sharp (APSS)
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" Seen on a forum somewhere....

Offline Steerpike

• Forum Moderator
    • Toybox
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 12:18:22 am »
Do you have any idea who was first to use it? I suspect it may even have been Sharp (APSS)
Just from memory - no scientific research or documentation - I would have said Pioneer. I think it was Pioneer who came up with the word "Songfinder", I don't know if it was trade-marked.

It isn't really good for the playback heads, so the purist recorders didn't include it on many models.

Sharp was - I think - the first to use it on video tape recorders. The early VHS machines fully unlaced the tape for FF and Rew, so there was no possibility to read data off the tape. For that purpose, Sharp recorders had an extra head to read the linear audio during FF and Rewind.  They recorded around a 15Hz tone in with the audio, at each recording start or pause-point. On TV sets you never hear that, but with a VTR connected to a good amplifier and speakers, it plays back as some sort of unintended earthquake effect!

Then some years later, JVC added the "VHS Index Search System" specification, where index markers were recorded onto the control track, and could be retroactively added or erased from recorded tapes. that required the tape to be in contact with the control track head for all operating modes, which also gave the possibility of a linear counter that worked in all modes.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:29:10 am by Steerpike »

Offline oNyX

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 01:25:01 am »
Didn't the budget Rondo 3000 had a songfinder?

I know Hitachi made amps and TTs back in the day. Haven't seen any though.

Offline Steerpike

• Forum Moderator
    • Toybox
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 03:41:06 am »

I know Hitachi made amps and TTs back in the day. Haven't seen any though.

Hitachi made the very lovely HMA-9500

And the beautiful little HMA-G2, while not a spectacular performer, it's very appealing to look at!

The power meters are showing peak music power - it does not do anything like 200W per channel. More like 60Wpc.

Offline chrisdc

• AVForums Member
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 11:01:18 am »
Just from memory - no scientific research or documentation - I would have said Pioneer. I think it was Pioneer who came up with the word "Songfinder", I don't know if it was trade-marked.

It isn't really good for the playback heads, so the purist recorders didn't include it on many models.

A scrap Pioneer CT-F650 i have is marked "Pioneer Music Select System". 

It didn't take manufacturers long to see the wear effects of music search systems on tape heads. This led to the development of mechanisms that disengaged the head completely if "Stop / F/Fwd" was selected but left the heads skimming the tape surface if you went from Play straight to F/Fwd. (Music search)

I had no idea such a system existed for VCR. I didn't get involved in VCR repairs beyond servicing my own kit.

You certainly know your stuff! Very impressive.  :)

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:09:29 am by chrisdc »

Offline chrisdc

• AVForums Member
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 11:04:45 am »

Yes it did, and was quite possibly the first music centre to do so. It's rivals were the Blaupunkt Cosmos, and the National Panasonic Ledsonic 3800 if memory serves.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:10:50 am by chrisdc »